Why You Need To Know About LEAD DIY

Why You Need To Know About LEAD DIY

An epilepsy awareness non-profit making big moves in the DIY scene right now.

71
Why You Need To Know About LEAD DIY
https://www.twitter.com/LEADDIY/media

L.E.A.D. DIY is a non-profit with a big mission that you should know about! I talked to Ellie Hart of L.E.A.D. and asked her to tell me a bit in her own words what they do, and she told me "So basically, 'L.E.A.D.' stands for 'Lighting and Epilepsy Awareness Development.'

It comes in a few different parts, but we distribute laminated copies of signs so people with photosensitivity (sensitive to light) know at shows if they're going to be exposed to strobes or another dangerous lighting. Along with distributing signs we generally try to educate artists/venues/concert-goers about how to be more aware of lighting at shows and what they can do to help people who are sensitive to light!"

Launched June 25, 2018, since its foundation L.E.A.D. has helped raise over $2000 in donations and fundraising, has distributed over 500 laminated signs (like those below), and has shipped them to 15 different states, as well as distributed them to touring bands and even partnered with The Platypus Zine in the UK to raise awareness overseas.

The signs that L.E.A.D. distributes are for the artists, the venues, and the concert-goers alike. From these warning signs for the bands and venues to use, displaying how safe shows are for photosensitive guests.

Low Risk lighting sign, for lighting unlikely to provide a danger to photosensitive people.leaddiy.org

A caution sign, displaying a warning that there is a risk for people with photosensitivity at the show.leaddiy.org

A warning sign for shows that use unsafe and intense lighting and pose a threat to those with photosensitivityleaddiy.org

To these signs for everyone, showing information about epilepsy and photosensitivity

A sign with a bunch of information about epilepsy and how to recognize seizuresleaddiy.org

A sign with information on how to help someone who is having a seizureleaddiy.org

L.E.A.D. gives venues and their patrons and performers a lot of ways to raise awareness and enforce safety at their concerts for those with photosensitivity.

As well as this, L.E.A.D. strives towards overall awareness for all venues and performers in terms of how to make shows more accessible within the DIY scene and eventually within the concert world altogether.

From advocacy--online, in-person at events, and during tours with bands they work with--to the distribution of their fliers, to their website, L.E.A.D. DIY is making waves and doing great work. Check them out and donate to them or buy merchandise they've made if you can!