Thank You Best Friend

To My Role Model, Sister, Future Maid Of Honor, And Best Friend

Thank you for everything.

648
Mary Ellen Hunter

It's pretty amazing how one person can change your life in so many ways. And no, I'm not talking about a boyfriend or significant other. I'm talking about my best friend. This open love letter is dedicated to the spunky little brunette who just turned 22 (it's her T-Swift year), sitting right across from me.

Since birthdays are an excuse to get all sappy and tell the ones in your life how much they mean to you… here it goes. Thank you, Savannah. Thank you for answering my late night phone calls (that you know are going to take at least an hour), for being my weekly running buddy, for the many fun dates (and occasional double dates when we feel like sharing each other), for bringing me Taco Bell at midnight on a school night, for picking the pineapples off your pizza when I insist that I "need" a Hawaiian, for making my bad days better, for loving my crazy family as much as I do, for the late emotional wine nights, for all the much-needed advice, and for just being you.

We awkwardly met for the first time at Delta Zeta's Big/Little reveal on November 4th, 2016. I had absolutely no idea who you were when I found out you were my Big. Annoyed and disappointed I didn't get who I wanted, who knew it would be one of the best things that could have ever happened to me.

You have done more for me than you know and words cannot even begin to describe how much I appreciate it all.

A true friend is extremely hard to come across nowadays. This is someone who picks you up when you're down, guides you when you're lost, and encourages you to be the very best version of yourself possible. Basically a therapist you can drink with, and so much more. They are there through the good, bad, and ugly- while loving you unconditionally along the way. I don't know what I did to deserve this.

Many "friends" do not follow the pattern given above. Girls are mean. They unnecessarily criticize and judge each other, while secretly hoping you stay worse-off than them so that they feel best… these are not real friends.

Thank you for genuinely wanting me to succeed in all aspects of my life and doing everything in your power to push me until I do. You are my role model, sister, future maid of honor, partner in crime, soul mate, and absolute best friend.

You can find us together, practically 24/7, at school or at home (coincidentally we are also from the same area); either finishing each other's sentences or saying the exact same thing at once. All our friends already know we are a package deal, luckily they don't seem to mind.

We are literally made for each other ("we really are") and essentially twins. It seems that we are so synced up to the point where things happen to us at the same time. I hope this continues to happen throughout life. I am tearing up at the thought of you graduating in December… I don't know what I'm going to do without you here, but I know you will still always be there for me.

Even though I've only known you for a short time, I feel like we've been friends forever. You mean the absolute world to me and I hope everyone is lucky enough to find a best friend like you.