Where I Was Last Year With The Roommates From Hell

I should've known the moment they said they drank that we were going to have problems.

15
The Preface

We've all used it. The Facebook Memories thing where Facebook goes back on your profile and tells you what happened this time last year or even from when Facebook started (if you were lucky enough to be on the site at that point). I think it's very interesting where I was last year.

Last year, I had just moved to college from four hours away. I was living on campus with no car and very little money. Oh, and did I mention I had the roommates from hell? Yep, that's right, you heard me. Roommates from hell. Not only did they drink (we lived on a dry campus) but they tried to screw me over in so many ways.

They would drink and get so drunk they forgot things, like how they made snow angels on the frickin' coffee table, would cook and make lots of dishes, and even broke down one of their bedroom doors because they did not want to get caught drinking if they contacted the RA's.

Did I mention I was only allowed one cabinet, but even then it wasn't really mine because it was where they stored the liquor that was not allowed on campus? Most of the time, I was blamed because I was the only one not there and because they couldn't remember what happened, it had to have been me, right?

The one thing I did do was use two tablespoons of another girl's butter. Apparently, that was enough to warrant a roommate meeting the next morning, which I was perfectly fine with. The only thing I was not fine with was that one of their drinking buddies was there to moderate the meeting (the rule is RA's are the only ones allowed to moderate a meeting. But due to the fact that they drank every night of the week, and I only saw them sober one day while I lived with them, they obviously didn't want an RA there). I said I didn't want him there but they were adamant that he was not leaving and I had two jobs interviews and a meeting within the hour, so I informed them thus and left. As a result, one of the girls thought that she had enough material and was in the right to destroy an expensive coffee maker of mine (she insists it was already broke and she just moved it, but I was there when she ripped the plug out of the wall and moved it) and decided to trash a poster I had hanging on my door as punishment for not attending a roommate meeting. (I also suspect she damaged several other of my personal things in the community area, however, as those things were used, I could not prove that she was the one who scratched up everything).

This seems like it all happened in about a month right? Wrong. It was literally from the Wednesday we moved in (about three days before classes start for freshmen) to the Friday of the first week of classes. Nine days. It was nine days of living with them.

Due to the extreme nature of the situation and the fact that ever since they broke down their door while they were drunk, I had slept in my bed with a hammer, I was immediately moved out of there and into a slightly better roommate situation.

No, the girls in the original room have never compensated me for the damage. None of them are friends anymore (they don't follow each other on any social media platforms and regularly bash each other online) and because I let the RA's know what was going on, most of them had to deal with the student conduct office, and now claim to be sober as a result.

Am I a snitch? No. My safety was compromised and you are never a snitch if your immediate safety is compromised (the destruction of my valuables is proof that they were hostile and violent).

The moral of the story: trust the RA's, know your rights, and don't put up with what I had to. It wasn't worth it. When they asked me if it was ok if they drank as long as they didn't do it in the house, I should've said no. I should've said outright "no," instead of "as long as it doesn't get me in trouble," because it most likely will.

I know it's cliche, but it does get better. I'm with great roommates right now and we work like a team instead of strangers to drink with. We actually make it work and most of that is because we are all sober and respect one another. Do not stand for crappy roommates. You deserve more than that.