The End Of An Era

The End Of An Era

College went by WAY too quickly.

82
I'm going to grad school!
Macy Nicole Scott

When I was 17-years-old, I decided to write for Odyssey. It was the summer before my freshman year of college, and although I was excited to embark on my Baylor career, I was extremely nervous. I was so young, and I was preparing to move hours away from home for the first time in my life. I was young, bright-eyed, and terrified. At that age, all I knew was that I loved to write, and I had the unique ability to express myself by tapping away at the keys on my laptop. Whenever and wherever I had the opportunity to write, it felt like home.

My first article for Odyssey was four years ago.

Since July 2016, my eyes are still bright and my passion for writing sparks every time my fingers brush the keyboard. But I am a 21-year-old college senior, and I am so different from the terrified teenager moving to Texas for the first time so long ago. I am less than three months away from graduating from Baylor. It feels like yesterday that I wrote the article about my experience as a freshman at Line Camp. I had not even taken my first undergraduate class yet, but Baylor's official Facebook page shared my article. That same article even made it in Baylor's yearbook that school year. I cannot even describe how supported, loved, and seen I felt by my new Baylor family.

I had not even taken my first undergraduate class yet, but because of that experience, Baylor had already felt like home.

On this website, I have documented all of my major aspects of growth during my college journey. During my four years at Baylor, I experienced so many fun birthdays, played college lacrosse, and joined a sorority. I had my first solo ER trip, gained so much knowledge, and watched my career path unfold. During college, I reached so many of my goals, and I got to express my vulnerable thoughts with the world through Odyssey. Anyone can tell you that photos and videos are great tools to document the best four years of your life… but writing was the way to ultimately reflect on my inner thoughts during college.

There are so many things I wish I could tell 17-year-old Macy. It is honestly so cool to read my posts over the past four years and enter the mind of the girl navigating her way through college. I wish I could tell the Macy of July 2016 that Line Camp would be the beginning of the best college experience in the entire world. I wish I could reassure her that the major she chose on a whim would be the absolute perfect fit for her. Oh, if only 17-year-old Macy knew that she would have the AMAZING opportunity to attend grad school at the same school that would bring her so much joy in undergrad. I wish I could tell her that I'm so proud of her.

I will graduate from college in just three short months. So many aspects of my life are about to change. I find comfort in the fact that I will begin my journey at my dream graduate program in healthcare administration in July 2020 at Baylor. To say I'm excited would be an understatement. I am thrilled beyond belief, but coming to the end of my undergraduate studies is still bittersweet.

Baylor has provided me with so much joy, especially during my senior year. I watched an amazing football season unfold, attending every single home game, the Big XII Championship game, and the Sugar Bowl (I even camped outside of McLane Stadium ALL NIGHT for College Gameday). I ran the Line for the final time. I participated in the Baylor traditions, Pigskin Revue and All-University Sing. I registered for my final set of undergrad classes. I spent time with my friends and truly let myself be in the present moment (all while maintaining a 4.0 GPA)! Baylor— you have exceeded all of my expectations and more, and I'm sure that I'll treasure even more senior-year memories in the weeks leading to graduation.

I have learned so much about myself over the past four years. I gained so many close friends and lost close friends. I have learned what it means to be successful, and I have recognized that it takes hard work to conquer your dreams. I have laughed harder over the past four years than I have during my entire life (yes— the deep belly kind of laugh that makes your chest hurt and your eyes water). I have had FUN, like genuine fun. I've been adventurous and spontaneous and DARING. I've learned how to balance taking risks with being smart. College has taught me more than the academic knowledge that I'll use in my future career—it has grown me into the person I am today.

I am 21-years-old. It is the spring semester of my senior year of college, and although I am nervous to end my Baylor undergraduate career, I am extremely excited for the journey ahead. Through it all, writing has been part of my past, present, and future. Many, many years down the road, when I'm a retired healthcare administrator, please do not be surprised when I publish a book (and that's a promise).

I am Macy Nicole Scott, and I am so thankful. Thank you, God, for this wonderful life. Thank you, Baylor, for being an absolute dream-come-true. And thank you to EVERYONE who has read all of my Odyssey articles and supported me during this journey. What an amazing life.

This is the end of an era, but it's really just the beginning.