Yes, Baylor Professors Expect You To Work Hard, And That's A Good Thing

The lack of sleep and constant stress is (surprisingly) worth it!

636
cameliatwu / Flickr

When I tell adults that I attend Baylor University, most people gasp in awe. There is an automatic assumption that my school is extremely difficult, and I must spend countless hours each day with my nose shoved in a book. This is an accurate representation of most of my week, and I admit, many of my classes are hard. They’re not just “Oh, I studied all weekend for this exam,” level of difficulty. It’s more like the “I’ve been studying for this particular exam every night for the past two weeks while balancing multiple quizzes, two essays, and a presentation while barely remembering to sleep” difficulty level.

Baylor professors seriously expect an overwhelming amount of hard work and dedication from students, and it sometimes seems like too much to handle. However, I wouldn’t have it any other way.

As a sophomore, I have experienced a wide range of courses. I have been enrolled in small classes with only 7 students, while I have also been in a huge lecture hall of 300. However, it always remains the same: Baylor professors are more than willing to help and encourage you. The past three semesters have surprised me, pushed me, and filled me with more knowledge than I ever imagined. In high school, I was spoon-fed facts, and I surely learned a fine amount of information. In college, I have been pushed headfirst into worlds of varying perspectives, different cultures, brand new ideas, and details that are necessary for my adult life.

I have learned so much about the meaning of my religion while being exposed to others. I have learned why art is so meaningful across generations and how to effectively communicate in another language. I have learned the differing perspectives on controversial issues that are prevalent in society, and more importantly, I have received the foundation on how to tackle these problems in the future. My professors are not just teachers; they are the source of wisdom, the guiding hand, and the set example of what it means to be proficiently educated and knowledgeable. I can confidently say that each one of my professors at Baylor over the last fourteen months have allowed me to look at varying subjects in a new light.

Subjects that never interested me before have become intriguing because many of my professors have become my friends. Who knew that I would ever become interested in helping the environment after a field trip to the local zoo? I never expected to want to learn about the history of art until I had the opportunity to touch a manuscript from hundreds of years ago. I didn’t know I wanted to minor in French until my professor from freshman year looked me in the eyes and believed in my abilities to become fluent. Subjects that formerly peeked my interest suddenly became a passion.

When my Population Health professor brought a chainsaw to class to stimulate the effects of stress on long-term health, or when my Global Health professor took multiple classes to discuss all sides of the abortion debate, I realized that these controversial ideas matter.

My professors have brought me out of my comfort zone, exposed me to concepts that were too raw to consider in high school, and have provided me with an environment inside and outside the classroom to expound upon this eye-opening information.

Yes, I have pulled way too many all-nighters studying for tests that seemed impossible.

Yes, I have cried while looking at my planner because I’ve had three midterms scheduled for the same day.

Yes, I stress out so much thinking about how I’m going to balance my little free time because school is entirely overwhelming.

But I would take the lack of sleep and anxiety attacks any day — because I know that I will be a well-informed, level-headed, and overly-prepared adult when I receive my Baylor diploma.

Thank you to my professor who came to watch me play in my lacrosse game last year. Thank you to the professor who gave me his card in case I ever need to be bailed out of jail. Thank you to the professor who met with me week after week to make sure I understood how to write the perfect essay. I am thankful for the countless amount of professors who made a point to learn my name, help me succeed, and help me grow.

A wise man once said, “Teaching is the one profession that creates all other professions,” and I could not agree more. I am forever thankful for my “sic” professors for believing that I will someday achieve incredible things.