what is considered a happy place

When We need A Break From Our Busy Lives We Go To Our Happy Place And To Me That Is The Lake

We all have a happy place and mine is on the water.

28

We all have a special spot that gives us a break from our busy lives and takes us to our "happy place." For me, it's the lake that helps me escape the real world and take some time to just relax. When I was little, I learned how to swim by the age of four. I would always look forward to weekend lake trips at Nana's house where we would take the green, sparkly boat out on the lake to fish all day and then have a fish fry later that evening for dinner.

Or the firework shows on the fourth of July. Or maybe it was summer camp on Table Rock Lake where we would cliff jump into the water and camp in tents for a night. Whatever it is, the lake holds a nostalgic sense of familiarity for me. Some of my earliest memories took place here and I hold those memories very close to my heart.

Fast forward to today, and the lake still brings these memories back to life. During the summertime, I often like to take weekend trips with friends to the lake. Whether we are tubing, water skiing, having fun at Party Cove, or just relaxing on the boat, I find peace in my mind in this environment. On the water, it seems like all judgment disappears.

Everyone is treated as equals and strangers gather together to become friends. People just seem to have kinder hearts on the lake. Maybe it's the fact that I've been in the middle of the city for such a long time now and the water gives me a break from the fast pace. Or maybe it's because the lake reminds me of my Oklahoma roots. Whatever it is, I am blessed for the memories that continue to be made with friends and family.

When I grow up and start a family I can only hope that my children get to have these same experiences. We all think about our future at one time or another, especially as it creeps closer and closer. If I had it my way, my future self will have a lake house with a boat where I can take my children out on the water to make their own memories while mine grow stronger.

A thank you to my happy place for always being there and giving me a spot to be free. Here is to the future and to the blessings of the past.