Actually, Ladies, Wear Whatever You Want, Whenever You Want

My clothing choice shouldn't determine my treatment from others.
5065

I recently read an article that held the viewpoint that in order to be taken seriously as a grown woman we (women) needed to dress professionally every day and leave the gym clothes at home. While I understand being professional and dressing appropriately for situations in your daily life I think it’s ridiculous that another woman had the audacity to tell me and women everywhere that, “If you want to be treated like a grown woman you have to act and dress like one.”

My clothing doesn't determine my treatment and if I am in leggings and a T-shirt that doesn’t give another human the right to treat me any differently than women in a dress and heels.

I go to school full-time, I work a part-time job, I am actively involved in several clubs and honor societies, and I do enjoy sleeping occasionally. Honestly, I know some days I look rough. Long nights of studying or working force me to choose 30 extra minutes of sleep over getting dressing up for the day ahead. But I don’t find anything wrong with my style. I know what I look like when I leave my house and if I wasn’t okay with it I would change my routine.

I and women everywhere don’t need another person telling us we aren’t good enough because of the way we look. Sure, I feel good on days when I dress up. I enjoy dressing nice and do so when I can, but dressing up every day to go sweat walking to and from classes on campus is not a priority of mine. I feel just as beautiful in my Nike shorts and a huge t-shirt. I feel comfortable in leggings and a T-shirt with my hair in a ponytail and glasses on. I don’t need to dress up to be confident in my everyday life.

SEE ALSO: Ladies, Modest Is NOT Hottest. But Jesus Never Asked Us To Be 'Hot'

So thank you to the author of that article, for making me realize that yes dressing up is awesome but that dressing down and being comfortable isn’t a bad thing. I’m not any less of a “grown woman” in my Nike shorts and t-shirt than you are in your dress and heels.

Everyone should strive to feel beautiful in their own skin and encourage others to do the same.