The Lack Of Live Music

The Lack Of Live Music

Nothing beats the thrill of seeing your favorite band in concert.

45
The Lack Of Live Music
Elizabeth Maline

Going to college in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, it’s pretty safe to say that the music scene here is extremely limited if there is one at all. This being said, I’m spoiled, because living right outside New York City meant there was never a shortage of concerts for me and my best friends to go to.

We would go to Madison Square Garden to see the biggest names in music, but we also went to small, intimate venues like the Bowery Ballroom to see emerging artists trying to make it in the big city. When the warm weather came around, we were frequents at festivals on Randall's Island or in Central Park.

While virtually all artists, from Taylor Swift to small indie bands perform in New York City, Winston-Salem isn’t exactly a destination every band is rushing to put on their tour schedule.

In my opinion, there’s nothing quite like seeing your favorite band perform live. You’ve listened to their songs on repeat, you know every word, and now you finally get to see them sing to YOU. Going to a concert is an experience that should not be missed.

Music connects us in a way most things don’t, and to be able to feel the music with a crowd as big as 80,000 or as small as 50 is unique. You can even see the same artist or band multiple times, but each time is different, as you’ll never again be experiencing it with all of the same people. An amazing concert is a rush, a thrill even. You never forget the feeling, which pictures and videos can’t adequately capture.

So, fellow temporary citizens of Winston-Salem, how do we fill this void; this lack of live music in our lives? Though going to Charlotte may seem like a hike (because it is) it’s where you can catch all the big artists. Bruno Mars, Stan Smith, Lana Del Ray, Maroon 5 (already got tickets for next October…call me crazy) are all the big names who have added Charlotte as a stop on their national or international tour.

For those not willing to make the trip, Greensboro is only a short half hour away and has hosted a couple of solid acts like the Goo Goo Dolls and Blake Shelton. However, with regard to Winston-Salem itself, it’s a waiting game. Sometimes we get lucky, like when Guns n Roses came to BB&T field (except school hadn’t started yet) and I hear Miranda Lambert is coming to the LJVM Coliseum (though I’m not much of a country fan).

I’ve come to accept that Winston-Salem is no New York. Until we are blessed with another artist or band that for some strange reason adds Winston-Salem to their select number of tour destinations, it looks like we will have to rely on Spotify to get our fix.