To Everyone Saying, "If Kylie Can Do It, Then So Can I", I Don't Think So

Listen up, stay on your contraceptives.

34
Kylie Jenner

Kylie Jenner announced on February 4th that she and Travis Scott welcomed a healthy baby girl on February 1st. At twenty years old, Kylie is the youngest sister of the Kardashian-Jenner family. Although Kylie Jenner is the youngest sister, she makes the most amount of money next to eldest sister, Kim. In 2017, Kylie made Forbes 30 Under 30.

With a net worth of $41 million dollars, Kylie can afford to have a child at this age. Realistically, she, and her new baby will never have to work another day in their life. With Kylie welcoming her first child at such a young age, young women are taking their thoughts to social media saying, “if Kylie can do it, then so can I.”

Listen up. Stay on your contraceptives.

Millions of people love Kylie, and view her as a role model, a makeup icon, and now they’re inspired by her recent chain of events: pregnancy and motherhood. Just because Kylie had a baby at twenty years old, does not mean you’re ready to have one. Got it?

Do not purposefully bring a child into this world if you are not mentally and financially prepared to give it everything it deserves.

Kylie Jenner never has to work another day in her life. By making something of herself at a very young age, she launched her own cosmetics line that has skyrocketed ever since launch in 2016. She will have no huge student loans to pay off, she doesn’t have to worry about finding a job to make money to support a child at this age. She has the money and the resources to raise a child if need be.

Just because you see Kylie do it, does not mean you should plan to have a child. Having a baby is a long, lifetime commitment, and you shouldn't plan to have a child just because you got a little bit of baby fever from Kylie's pregnancy video. Pregnancy and motherhood are some of the joyous times in a woman's life, but they shouldn't be occurring at a young age just because you saw a celebrity do it.

I'm not advocating for every woman in the world to wait until they reach a certain age to have a child. My mother gave birth to me at twenty-one, and I'm doing just fine! If pregnancy happens, then it happens. All I'm saying is young women today shouldn't be advocating to rush their own pregnancies just because Kylie Jenner did it. We shouldn't turn pregnancies into a trend.

Now, obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion and are free to make their own choices about pregnancy and whatnot, but don’t think that you’re ready to have a child just because you saw a Kardashian do it. (Or in this case, a Jenner). Can you imagine all the wild events that would happen if we did something just because the Kardashian family did? Yikes.