Kurt Vile

Kurt Vile

From cartoon character quotes to six studio albums

26
Kurt Vile

While most artists’ stories start with guitars, drums, bass, or a keyboard, this one begins with a fourteen year old and a banjo.

I pretty much knew I was going to do music [with my life] then.”

Vile began writing songs with cartoon quotes on his mind. He describes his first track as “a joke song”. The track included great instrumentals but incorporated the story of Lex Luther and his hatred towards Superman. The title “You Mad All My Hair Fall Out” was taken from the story line of kryptonite falling on top of Lex Luther’s head causing his hair to fall out. While continuing to work as a forklift driver Vile worked on his music with the rest of his time.

It was a really fast-paced job, unloading trucks. Though music was my passion, I had a long way to go then and a lot to learn. I got depressed so many times by my blue-collar life, and self-conscious about the fact that I didn’t go to college. I was always working super low-end jobs, being the complete opposite of what I wanted to be. But I just fell into it, and I was also sorta shy. It was definitely a pretty rough time.”

In 2003, Vile moved backed to his hometown of Philadelphia and immiedetely started collaborating with musician and songwriter Adam Granduciel. Two years later the two got together to form their indie rock band, The War on Drugs. The two men were best friends by this point and their music was everything to the both of them. With the release of their first album, Wagonwheel Blues, the two set off on tour in 2008. At this same time Vile released his solo album, Constant Hitmaker, which was released on Gulcher Records. After some consideration Vile decided to leave The War on Drugs and fully focus on his solo career. Constant Hitmaker was full of home recordings with only one studio recording of the song “Freeway”.

Vile’s next release was in April of 2009 with an album titled God Is Saying This to You…; a full album of home recordings dating back to 2003 on vinyl only. On top of this release, Vile also had recorded a studio album, Childish Prodigy. After taking the record to numerous labels he finally decided on signing with Matador Records.

It’s a perfect fit. They were my number one choice. I don’t really consider my music indie rock or think that Matador cater only to indie rock, but I still feel I can relate most to Matador, more than any other label. Not to mention the fact that they are way on top of their shit.”

The year of 2011 was filled with music accomplishments for Vile. His next studio, Smoke Ring for My Halo, was released and peaked at #154 on the Billboard Top 200 and was also placed on many end-of-year lists. Later in the year he also released a companion EP titled So Outta Reach, and appeared on his former bands The War on Drugs’ second studio album.

Vile continued releasing music with his fifth album two years later titled, Walkin on a Pretty Daze. Not only did he release this but he also released an EP, It’s a Big World Out There (And I Am Scared), as well as a deluxe edition of Walking on a Pretty Daze. The help of his band mates was never left un-noted when asked about. Vile appreciated all of them for each of their amazing abilities. After being asked about the members he shared that currently he was playing with Jesse Trbovich and Rob Laakso. Laakso was one of the newest members and Trbovich has “been a member forever”. The consistent drummer decided to leave, which gave Vile a chance to bring in different friends to take place on the drums on different records. During the band’s 2013 tour dates Steve Gunn joined the band as the “auxiliary Violator”. Vile noted:

It’s impossible to just talk about Steve. He’s too good! He’s so good: just listen to him. What can I even say about him that touches that? I just want to listen to him.”

His most recent album was announced on March 6, 2015 and titled b’lieve i’m goin down…; The recording took place in different locations across the United States and was officially released September 25, 2015 on Matador Records. A big accomplishment for this album was being ranked as the second best of 2015 by Still in Rock.

Vile is currently on tour in Australia until mid March where he will then head to the Netherlands, and Spain. His music is available on Amazon, Google Play, and iTunes and is also active on all social medias. For more information and updated tour dates and merchandise his website, http://kurtvile.com/ is updated with new things as soon as they are announced.