Kroger ClickList Versus Walmart Grocery

Kroger ClickList Versus Walmart Grocery

A comparison of both services.
4353

Being a mom constantly on the go, grocery shopping is something I dread. The last thing I want to do with two kids three and under is grocery shopping. A normal one hour trip for a week’s worth of groceries can take up to two hours with kids. Between reading labels, fighting kids and only half paying attention to the grocery list, you can see how it could take that long. Earlier this year, Kroger rolled out their new program called “ClickList” where you can order your groceries online and pick them up during your designated time. Walmart, being a huge competitor to Kroger, has rolled out their own grocery pick up called “Walmart Grocery”. Here are some of the pros and cons to both.

First, let’s cut to the chase and talk about money. Kroger does charge a small fee for their ClickList. At $4.95 for every time, the price can add up over the year. However, the first three ClickLists are free and the website keeps track of it. They are really good at sending out coupons in the mail for $10 off, so it balances out. Walmart, on the other hand, doesn’t charge a fee at all. They don’t accept coupons. The prices of their actual products do vary, so while something might be cheaper at Walmart, there could be other things cheaper at Kroger. I suggest checking all ads before deciding which store to go with. When comparing my monthly budget, I did notice that I spent almost the same at Walmart as I did with Kroger. The price difference was only by a few dollars. One major difference between the two stores – Walmart charges you the second you submit your order and at Kroger, you pay when you pick up.

Another thing that I take into consideration is time. Since we have lived in Murfreesboro, I have used Kroger for almost all of our grocery needs. Their store is located ten minutes from my house versus fifteen to twenty to make it to Walmart. I have never spent more than ten minutes at Kroger for any given pickup. That includes calling them upon arrival and the employee loading the groceries in the car. My trip to Walmart did take a bit longer, around thirty minutes, but with the newness of the program, that should improve with time. Another thing to know about both of these programs is that Kroger is only for next day or later, while Walmart offers same day or later.

As with every shopping experience, the customer service is equally important as time and money and can usually make or break any shopping experience. As an avid Kroger shopper, I was a bit surprised at the customer service provided by both stores. I have never actually had a problem with Kroger’s customer service. They are always happy, cheerful and very helpful and knowledgeable with their products. Anytime any of the products are out of stock and Kroger has to substitute it, they give you a better product at the cheaper price, and they always make a note of it when they bring the groceries out to you. Turns out, Walmart does the exact same thing. My trip to Walmart actually impressed me. The employee that brought out my groceries was much nicer, personable and knowledgeable than any of the Kroger employees I’ve had in the past few months. He even brought out a bucket full of candy so I could give my kids a piece of candy for the wait. That made both of my kids happy and satisfied for the trip.

The last thing I take into consideration is how easy it is to get the service. The websites are set up completely different for the stores. Kroger’s ClickList does not work well on mobile at all, where Walmart’s does pretty well mobile. I prefer the Kroger website because the load times seem quicker than Walmart’s. However, Walmart’s layout on their website goes smoother. They have different categories and subcategories like you would see walking through the store itself. Another thing I liked more about Walmart was that when you pull into the store, they have actual directions towards the pickup area. Arrows are painted on the pavement and there is a designated parking lane with at least five parking spots for pick up. Kroger has a designated area with three parking spots for pickup. They have signs, but no arrows or any other information designating the area.

Overall, while I am a big fan of Kroger products, I had a better experience using Walmart’s service. Everything from their website to their price beat out Kroger, which is surprising to me. They are rolling out the program at more locations every month, so make sure you check out their website to see if they have a store near you. Another pro for Walmart is that they offer a 10-10-10 reward. You can refer up to ten friends and get yourself $10 off for every referral and your referral gets $10 off as well!