Knowing What I Know Now, I Emphasize These 5 Things

Here Is What I Would Remember

30
Wikimedia

My perspectives on many things in life have changed, Thank God. Knowing what I know now, I am amazed at the things in my life that I thought were so detrimental and huge. When really, they are insignificant compared to what really matters. Knowing what I know now, I would put more emphasis on these five things:

1. Appreciate the small things.

Sure, life can be overwhelming with work responsibilities, school, emails, errands, and the list goes on and on. Sometimes, our to do-lists pile up and we forget to appreciate the small things. Here is my challenge, not only should we appreciate the small things like the rain, we should encourage others to appreciate the small things. Do something small for someone. Maybe pay for the person behind you in line just because. Send a friend or significant other flowers or a nice card just because. Hug your parents a little tighter and let them know you appreciate them on any day. Knowing what I know now, I have learned to appreciate the small things that can initiate bigger things.

2. Others remember how you treated them.

Knowing what I know now, I would keep in mind that others will always remember how you treated them. I think we can all think back to someone who wasn't all that kind to us. With that in mind, remember that others will remember how they were treated. Be someone that others want to remember the way you treated them.

3. Don't sweat it.

Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't stress over certain things that seemed like life or death at the time. This can be anything from elementary school drama to the present day. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't sweat it. Don’t stress about what others may have thought of you. Now don't mistake this to think you can just do whatever you want and the world will eat right out of your hand, but remember that those who deserve to be in your life don't care about your new asset, what you drive, or where you live. So, don't sweat it.

4. You won’t be traded gold for silver.

A very wise friend of mine gave me a quote that has stuck with me in even the biggest and smallest of trials.

“God will not show you gold and give you silver.”- Unknown

What this really means is, if the job you have is the gold, it won't be taken from you and be replaced with silver. If the people in your life are gold, they won't be taken away and replaced with silver. Knowing what I know now, I would remember that doors open and close for significant reasons. If they close, they were silver, and you should wait for the gold.

5. Doing things is better than having things.

Memories last longer than any specific item you can purchase. Put your interests more towards experiences than just stuff. Knowing what I know now, I can honestly say that memories absolutely last longer.

I am sure many of us have heard “Things happen for a reason” and while I believe that is true, I also would go back and keep these things in mind knowing what I know now. I hope that this will challenge all of us to appreciate the small things, be kind, relax a little, and above all, remember that doors in life open and close because they were the silver when you deserve gold.