12 Things Everyone With IBS Wants You To Know

Just because you can’t see my pain, doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exist.

96

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) sounds like a less than desirable disorder to be diagnosed with... and believe me, it is. The Mayo Clinic describes IBS as, "...a common disorder that affects the large intestine. Signs and symptoms include cramping, abdominal pain, bloating, gas, and diarrhea or constipation, or both." This Gastrointestinal disorder can lead to severe anxiety and depression as well as keep people from being able to go about their daily lives. Everyone with IBS wants others to understand and accept them. Here are a few things to keep in mind about those who have IBS:

1. Just because you can’t see my pain, doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exist.

the.ibsdietitian

The amount of times I have gotten pushed aside because people can't see my disorder is ridiculous. Often times it feels like someone is taking a sharper object and twisting my intestines with it and other times I bloat so bad that I no longer can wear pants that rise near my abdomen. This isn't always a visible disorder, so keep that in mind.

2. Traveling can be a complete nightmare.

JESHOOTS.com

Traveling can lead to serious anxiety for people with IBS... not knowing where the bathroom is, being afraid of a random flare-up, remembering to bring medications or a change of clothes, and so much more. Often times when we travel we eat out a lot which can lead to flare-ups. It isn't always avoidable and the inevitable is that your intestines will not like you for that.

3. We really don’t want to restrict ourselves from hanging out with friends and family... sometimes it’s just not possible with a flare-up.

the.ibsdietitian

It absolutely sucks to cancel plans with your friends or family. Sometimes people with IBS will either have bad stomach pain or they can be on the toilet every ten minutes. Whatever it is, we'd rather be spending time with you and not doubled over in pain.

4. Depression and anxiety can stem from IBS.

the.ibsdietitian

Serotonin is released in the gut and when our guts aren't functioning right it may affect the release of it. Many professionals have linked IBS to anxiety and depression because of the total effect it has on the body. Depression and anxiety must be managed as one of the symptoms and not ignored.

5. Needing to research available bathrooms when you go to new places.

Photo by Franck V. on Unsplash

Bathroom anxiety is real! Not knowing where the "can" is could really drive someone with IBS to constantly worry about having a flare-up with no toilet around.

6. Losing weight with IBS can be hard especially because you can’t eat a lot of fruits and vegetables and exersise can cause flare-ups.

the.ibsdietitian

There is a constant battle between eating healthy and not causing a flare-up. Many foods such as apples, watermelon, raspberries, and broccolini can cause a flare-up. Exercise also can cause a flare-up if it is high-intensity.

7. Having to settle for food you’re not supposed to eat when eating out.

Photo by Jakub Kapusnak on Unsplash

It is near impossible to find gluten-free, dairy-free, and, in general, FODMAP free meals when eating out. You have to pick and choose your battle and try to figure out which dish will cause the least amount of symptoms to occur.

8. No I’m not a party pooper... I cannot drink alcohol.

Unsplash

Many people with IBS cannot tolerate alcohol, but not all. Everyone is different in what they can or cannot have, alcohol just happens to be the one category where you either can or cannot have it.

9. If I go to the bathroom a lot, don’t point it out negitvely.

Photo by Adi Goldstein on Unsplash

Being self-conscious about going to the bathroom is often a reoccurring thought. If you see someone go to the bathroom minutes after they just went, do not point it out... this person may have a disorder such as IBS...

10. When people don’t take the time to understand how we feel, it can make us feel alienated.

Photo by freestocks.org on Unsplash

It isn't always understood by others what IBS is truly like. Many hear the word and immediately think of how gross it sounds. It is something that many people live with and I encourage you to try and understand how life is like with this disorder.

11. IBS cannot be cured nor does it have any guaranteed treatment options.

ibs.nutrition

Dietitians often recommend a low FODMAP diet for people with IBS. This includes cutting out foods such as bread, some fruits, vegetables, sweeteners, and so much more. It is not guaranteed to work for everyone, but it can lessen symptoms for those suffering. There is absolutely not a cure for this disorder, it will always exist in those who have it.

12. Bloating to the point of looking 3-4 months pregnant is common and it makes it hard to shop for clothes.

the.ibsdietitian

Bloating can get so bad with IBS to the point of going up a pant size or two. Bloating makes for very hard shopping as you possibly will need different size clothing for certain days.