How We Know That God Is For Us

How We Know That God Is For Us

He is on our side.

329
How We Know That God Is For Us
CC0 Creative Commons

At times, life can feel like a battleground. As we go through our days, we may be faced with a situation that tests who we are and maybe even what we believe. It’s easy in the midst of trials to feel as if we are in this fight alone, like God has left us to our own devices. In all honesty, I was just there. Doubt has been attacking me left and right this past week. I have felt alone and surrounded by fears that tell me I am not equipped to overcome. I welcomed God into my situation, and I felt so strongly that I needed to share his response.

God has a history with each of us, we go way back with him. Before we were even brought into the world, he has been on our side. Let’s fully grasp what this means. God is on our side and therefore fighting FOR us! I feel like this is something I have heard over and over again but it had not truly settled in my spirit until now. I turned to the word, still in slight disbelief that God was truly in these battles with me and fighting on my side. It proved again and again that God has fought for his people since the beginning of time! Take a moment to let the truth of these verses sink in:

Exodus 14:14

“The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.”

Deuteronomy 3:22

“ Do not be afraid of them; the Lord your God himself will fight for you.”

Joshua 23:9-10

“The Lord has driven out before you great and powerful nations; to this day no one has been able to withstand you. One of you routs a thousand, because the Lord your God fights for you, just as he promised.”

Your situations may have let you down, people may have let you down, your own decisions may have let you down, but he has never let you down. You have no blame to put on him. You can try to blame him, but your accusations will fall straight to the ground. Do you know why? You can’t blame someone who has been fighting for you all along. If you were playing on a team and you lost a game, you wouldn’t blame a teammate for your team losing. You wouldn’t tell them they sabotaged the whole game because they wanted you to lose. It wouldn’t make any sense, because that teammate wanted the win just as much as you did! You and God have been on the same team since the beginning of time! He is mourning the loss with you, and he is fighting for you even when you’re not strong enough for the battle.

We are still going to experience troubles, but what do we have to be afraid of? If we can really let it sink in that God is fighting for us, we have no room for fear. Lastly, God is not on our side now that we finally see that he can be. Throughout the course of our life, God has been on our side before we even asked him to. That's how hard he loves. I look back on situations where I felt completely alone, and I see how he was working behind the scenes. I am reaping the benefits today of the battles he fought for me years ago, and I know I will reap the benefits of these battles as well. He is on my side and he is on your side now and forever.