The Kids Aren't Alright

The Kids Aren't Alright

Yes, I know it's the name of a song by Fall Out Boy.

16
The Kids Aren't Alright
123rf.com

I don't know about you, but I can sometimes be a pessimist when it comes to looking at our world as a whole. The media is something that contributes a lot to society and to a kids' experience growing up. I have come to realize that the things they are exposed to nowadays are much different even from when I was a youngster 15 or so years ago. Different in this case does not mean good.

The entertainment industry in particular is something that contributes greatly to what everyone takes in each day. The young mind can be heavily influenced by what they see on TV or hear on the radio. With the branching out of these industries comes a noticeable change in what society deems acceptable, and it seems to me that we are pretty dang tolerant.

When I hear about 10-year-olds playing "Grand Theft Auto," I am concerned.

When I see 13-year-olds singing explicit rap lyrics, I am shocked.

When I find out that parents watch "Orange Is The New Black" around their kids, I am appalled.

People need to realize that what goes in will come out, and often in unhealthy ways when it comes to young people. They may grow up thinking that everyone swears and has sex and that there are no unintended consequences. It is common for them to live and learn and make mistakes, but it is different when their worldview is changed by things they observe as a kid that their parents condone.

There are always ways to keep kids sheltered from these sorts of things. I was pretty sheltered until I was around 13 and learned ways to watch things I shouldn't necessarily be watching at my friend's house. By then, I was at least able to handle it (I think). Kids are growing up too fast, and I hate growing up in general.

Rant over. Now I will explain why this is important.

My final point is that the way society is now is shaping the future: kids. My parents are teachers, and while there are plenty of sweet kids out there with stable home lives (and some without), there are a lot more kids than ever before that will be disrespectful and belligerent. And if they aren't either of those things, then they suffer from anxiety, depression, or both. I just see the world on a downward spiral, and it makes me sad.

Not everyone who had an iffy childhood may come out as a teen and make bad mistakes, but I think it is becoming more common today.

This article was for me to express my concern, and I have done that. I know that there are others who feel the same way. I just want people to stop and think about what goes on around them. I'm not here to offend anyone, I just believe I have a valid opinion formed from observing what I see everyday.