Can We Just Talk About Khalids New Album?

On April 5, 2019, Khalid dropped his second debut album after his chart-topping 2017 album "American Teen". I have always been a Khalid fan, and appreciate him even more after this album. "Free Spirit" got a lot of backlash from the media, saying things like "We want the old Khalid back" or "He played it way too safe." I disagree, I loved "American Teen" and I am loving "Free Spirit"

1. Intro 

For an intro, it is fairly lengthy, but I loved every minute of it. Just because its titled "Intro" don't skip it over it. He told Apple Music in an interview that he wanted the "fans to find their own name to this song and what it means to them." This song is so visual to someone in many different ways, A good choice for the intro to the album.

2. Bad Luck 

Bad Luck is in my opinion, was the best song to put right after the intro. Overall, the vibe to this album is completely different from the upbeat album "American Teen" and the first two songs executed that perfectly. "That intensity is literally like, punching you in the face" - Khaild for Apple Music

3. My Bad 

My Bad was the third official single off the album dropping in early March of 2019. Another great song, the lyrics are super relatable. Shockingly Khalid only took about 10 minutes to make this track and one go around, you can't tell at all. This is one of my personal favorites on the album.

4. Better

Better was released early as a single following OTW and with the Suncity EP in 2018, this instantly became a fan favorite. If this song doesn't make you want to snap along and dance, you're lying to yourself. At first, listen, it sounds like a love song but if you take a dive deeper into the lyrics, you'll find his true meaning.

5. Talk 

Talk, the lead single of this album was the perfect tease for this album. Totally gave everyone "American Teen" vibes. This collaboration with Disclosure is probably one of my favorites on the album. This has good potential to be the Summer 2019 song.

6. Right Back 

Right Back, is one of the smoothest songs that Khalid has ever made. It totally gives me 90s feels, and it makes me want to dance. This song defiantly is the upbeat Khalid everyone was expecting, also a running to be a summer song.

7. Don't Pretend 

Don't Pretend, got released two days before the album dropped. Fans went crazy for this song anticipating the album drop just a couple days later. This song is totally a chill vibe, and personally one of my favorites.

8. Paradise 

Paradise is the happy medium song everyone was looking for. This song is a different vibe than the previous tracks, but it still is one of the good ones showcasing his amazing vocal range.

9. Hundred 

Hundred opened up with the lyric "Life is never easy when you need it to be", and this hit home. Khalid talks about the everyday stresses of life, but you got to keep moving on. The message of getting back up and doing it is strong, and this song also has an upbeat dance beat that makes you want to play it loud with your windows down in the car.

10. Outta My Head (with John Mayer)

I was shocked when I saw this collab on the album, the story behind it is kinda funny. Khalid told Apple music that he ran into Mayer while he was walking out the studio and asked him if he wanted to hear his project, and soon enough John jumped in on this track. John Mayer + Khalid = WOW.

11. Free Spirit 

Free Spirit, is also one of my personal favorites. This song ties the whole album together, showing that this is where Khalid is going with his music career and that music is truly is his passion.

12. Twenty One 

Twenty One is defiantly a contrast to 8TEEN from "American Teen". This album shows the "eventual sorrows" of turning 21, and honestly, this song makes me want to turn 21.

13. Bluffin'

Bluffin' talks about being in a failing/failed relationship and reminisce about the time they spent together. Khalid explained this song as the "make-up-after-break-up song".

14. Self

Self was the fourth single off the album that dropped in late March 2019. The song is a self-reflection of anxiety, fears, and insecurities. Khalid told Apple Music "One subject matter that I've written about is myself. It's me. How I feel about myself, and how I felt at my low. My lowest point, how I felt about myself, this was my inspiration for making myself feel better."

15. Alive

Alive is the song you listen to when you're going through life and it gets hard. The message at first may seem sad, but there is a better meaning to it once you dive deeper. Also one of my personal favorites.

16. Heaven 

Heaven ties perfectly into the previous song. Khalid talks about losing someone close, whether it is physically or just no longer in his life. You can hear the heartbreak in this song, a sort of helpless tone. "Sad" Khalid is a fan favorite, but this song really showcases the difference between "American Teen" Khalid and "Free Spirit" Khalid.

17. Saturday Nights 

Saturday Nights premiered in October 2018 on the Suncity EP. This was my favorite track on the EP, so I was ecstatic to see it appear on the album. Even though this song has a dark meaning, it was one of Khalid's favorite songs that he's ever worked on, so it had to make it to this album.