Keys To A Killer Freshman Year

Keys To A Killer Freshman Year

All of the things I wish I'd known during those first few days.

48
Keys To A Killer Freshman Year

When I think back to my freshman year of college, I have a lot of regrets (not unlike when I think most of us think back to our freshman year of anything). Growing up an only child where most of my older friends went to community college, I didn't know much about what it was going to be like. I was too scared, too nervous, and way too discombobulated when I arrived on Washington Square Park.

But you shouldn't have to go through this same thing. So here, NYU 2020, are your keys to having a successful freshman year.

Accept your roommate likely won't be your best friend.

NYU is a random roommate situation. Think of it like a flavored gumball machine and you like the pink ones. The odds of a pink one rolling out are the same as the purple and green ones you're okay with, or the red and yellow ones you can't stand. Figure out what your deal is and make the best of it.

No one cares about high school.

It doesn't matter who was popular. That term is so not relevant in college. In fact, I think being weird and different might be more "popular." Lose your label and feel free to be who you are.

Here's a map. Use it.

If you ask someone where Washington Square Park is, chances are they'll lead you in the wrong direction because we're all tired of being asked the same ridiculous question by tourists and newbies alike. Get a map (on your phone or otherwise) and take a peek when need be.

Walk! Walk everywhere. Walk anywhere.

You will burn off the Freshman 15, you'll explore the city better, and eventually you'll figure out it's just as quick as waiting for the bus or the subway. Also, you're going to learn that a $2.75 subway fare is actually a lot when you could also get Mamoun's (an NYU favorite) for not much more.

Don't wear your lanyard. In fact, you better just lose the lanyard all together.

Enough said (trust me).

Welcome Week is no indication of the rest of the year.

You will hear a million times that the friends you make as a freshman during Welcome Week will disappear. This is true, but take heart that by the time you're a sophomore, you'll probably be working Welcome Week for some club with lifelong friends.

Try a couple of new things.

Never been to a yoga session? Curious about getting involved with a political group? Do it all! This is college, man. After these four years you're probably going to be getting a real job or heading off to graduate school.

Join something, but don't join everything.

So once you've tried everything, you need to decide which things you want to stick with. "No" is both a difficult and an essential word to remember when in college in order to not spread yourself too thin.

Your academic advisor is basically your first guaranteed college friend.

Do not underestimate how helpful he/she can be for you. If you want to study abroad, grab an internship for credit, or overall just have someone to help you figure things out, this is the person to visit.

Expect your major to change at least once.

I went into college deadset on double majoring in English and Film. Now? I last explained it to someone as an intersection of fiction, film, and feminism, but even that doesn't feel right. Your interests will expand, and your studies will accordingly.

Don't compare your experience to your friends at other schools.

That girl in your high school who is partying at the beach at Florida State or the guy who went for a football scholarship at Michigan just aren't going to have the same experience as you are in Manhattan. You chose to come to New York for a reason, so don't forget how it's amazing and unique.

Balance making new friends and keeping the old.

Of course you don't want to forget about your best friends from home. But you can't only think about them. Everyone is doing new things and living separate lives. Your heart has to accommodate for all of it.

Make sure to make some upperclassmen friends, too.

As great as it is to have buddies in your year, it's really helpful to have some older friends to show you around to awesome places you may have not thought to visit, but also to help you in your classes and extracurricular activities where you guys share interest. Think of them like an older sibling.

Whatever you do, don't be afraid.

Step up. Speak out. Do things with passion or not at all. Every inspirational poster applies here because it's all true.

Know that this is only the beginning.

I'll let you in on a little secret: your freshman year doesn't have to be your favorite. You're still learning everything. And the things you like, the people you meet, and what matters most is probably going to change in ways you can't even think of right now. And that's okay.

Good luck, NYU 2020! Go out there and kill it.