11 Things You Can Relate to If You Were A 'Key Clubber' In High School

No, we do not make keys...

469
Maya Dalton

There are hundreds of extracurriculars one can be involved in throughout their four years of high school. From sports, to Student Council, to Chess Club, the possibilities are endless. One of the clubs I have been majorly involved with and has made such an impact in my life is Key Club.

Key Club, for those not involved, is an international, student-led service organization that provides its members with opportunities to provide service, build character, and develop leadership. We work with other service organizations such as Children's Miracle Network, The Thirst Project, and UNICEF, plus many more! For those that have been actively involved in Key Club, either at their school or the district (state) level, can relate to these 13 things.

1. No, we do not make keys.

One of the first questions asked when you tell someone you're in Key Club is if we actually make keys. The answer is no. However, we do open doors to new opportunities and experiences. 😉

2. We sometimes refer to ourselves as "Pizza Club."

It seems odd, but one thing all Key Clubbers have in common besides their love and passion for service is their love and passion for pizza. For me, the Key Club year is not complete without at least one pizza party.

3. You know the pledge and core values by heart.

Ask any Key Clubber, past or present, and I'm sure they could still recite the Key Club pledge, the core values, and mission. I know that one of my favorite parts of meetings is hearing every member come together and recite the pledge together. Leadership, caring, character building and inclusiveness are the four values all Key Clubbers live out in their homes, schools, and communities.

4. Convention season = the best season.

Conventions different from district to district, however, everyone knows about Fall Rally, District Convention, and International Convention. Fall Rally is a 24-hour pep rally with a bunch of sleep-deprived and hyper-active teenagers. District Convention is the weekend in the spring where new District officers are elected.

It's typically a formal occasion, but still a great time! International Convention is like District Convention but at a global scale. Key Clubbers from around the world (yes, the world), gather to elect new International officers, have cheer-offs, and take over a city for four days. Regardless, anytime Key Clubbers are all in one place is a fun time!

5. Key Club friendships are everlasting.

The people you meet through Key Club, whether it be in your school, state, or across the world, are ones that last a lifetime. They are passionate about serving others and making an impact just the same as you. That makes them special and unique people you should never let go. Plus, they understand the ramblings about service projects.

6. Serving on a board is one of the best experiences.

If you've had the chance to serve on a club, district, or international board, you know that it is a unique experience. Even though there are only a few meetings throughout the year in the case of District and International boards, the connections last a lifetime. There are 2 a.m. talks with your fellow board members about the meaning of life, countless inside jokes, and a little bit of drama. Either way, it makes the bond even stronger. If you ever have the chance to be on a Key Club board at any level, do it!

7. The members are the foundation of our organization.

Any Key Clubber can also vouch for the fact that the members are the foundation of our organization. The best way to describe the hierarchy is an inverted triangle. Members are on the top, then the clubs which make up divisions. The divisions make up each district, and the districts make up Key Club International!

8. People are shocked when they hear how many service hours you've logged over time.

Personally, I have over 400 over four years, but people are so surprised as to how I've reached that number. When you're serving and doing things for the benefit of others, you're not worried about how many hours you get out of it. It's the reason behind helping people and Key Clubbers do this to help others. The numbers mean nothing compared to the impact we're making on the world.

9. Key Club follows you EVERYWHERE.

There have been countless times where I've run into someone I've met through Key Club at another event. Whether it's a sports competition, a history bowl match, or just at the mall, you can always find someone. It's also cool that I could go anywhere in my home state of West Virginia and have someone to see. (We're a small state, but it's still cool!)

10. Key Club week is the best week of the year.

The main event of the Key Club year, where we show our spirit, give thanks to our support systems, and serve! At my high school, Key Club week has always been a big deal and a major form of recruitment. The week also just so happened to end with our District's Fall Rally weekend. Talk about timing!

11. It's an amazing high school experience.

If it wasn't for Key Club, I wouldn't have found my footing and friend group in high school. Being a part of a service club helped shape me into the person I am now, and ignite the passion in my heart to serve my home, school, and community.

I can't fathom what my life would be like without Key Club. I'm so grateful for my friends and experiences across the US. If you have the chance to be involved, it's never to late. Circle K is the college branch of Key Club, and Kiwanis is the adult/parent branch. You can join the K-family anytime!