5 Universal Tips For Keeping Your Life Organized

Being organized will provide you with a small semblance of being in control in this chaotic world.

30

Life is messy and nothing is perfect. That may seem pessimistic but it's the truth. The worst part is... there's not much you can do about it. You can't predict all of the curveballs that life will throw at you. But, you can at least be prepared (somewhat) for it. How? By being organized. Doing so will help you feel a little less messy. It'll provide you with a small semblance of being in control.

Here are five easy tips to help yourself be the best you!

Planner/Calendar.

A planner or calendar is the perfect way to keep track of everything. Whether it's an app or the paper version, it can help you stay on top of any assignments, due dates, events, meetings, etc. I really paper prefer planners that have a monthly view because it provides a one-month snapshot of everything you have going on.

Color-coding.

Color-coding your planner is a really great way to keep organized. It's a great system once you're familiar with the colors you've used and what they stand for. That way, you can write less and easily associate the task/event at hand with the color you used. For example, I color-code my classes in my planner. Each class is a different color, so instead of writing out the class and the assignment, I can just write the assignment and know exactly what class it's for.

Lists.

Lists save my life. Sometimes when I know I have a big day ahead of me, I'll take the time to sit and make a list of everything I need to do (preferably in order, if possible). It helps ease my anxiety and it's easy for me to see what I have done throughout the day as well. Once I finish something, I cross/check it off. You can use a notepad or the Notes app on your phone.

Reminder App on iPhones.

This app has saved my life more times than I can count. This works well when I need to remember to do something either later in the day, the next day(s), or within the next week. That also helps me remember important deadlines/meetings, as I'll set the app to remind me a couple hours ahead of time.

Sleep. 

I know this is a weird tip but... sleep is key! You won't be at your best unless you've had a decent amount of sleep. Less sleeps usually results in less productivity and affects your ability to get things done. You may be more frazzled, you may be more forgetful, and you may also just be too tired to care.