Keep Your Sanity In Times Of Stress By Looking To The Bible
Religion

Be still and know that God is God.

312

It goes without saying that college can be stressful. Whether you go to school full time or part time, are working or unemployed, in various leadership positions or not, college students have a lot on their plates. There's barely enough minutes in a day to do everything.

I've noticed that my times of busy-ness come in waves. I'll have a couple weeks where I certainly have enough to do, but nothing overwhelming. Then, everything is thrown at me. I have so many assignments due within days. Between class and meetings, I barely have enough time to do homework. I'll stay up a little later and wake up a little earlier, so I have more time to get it all done.

When you're stretched so thin, it's easy to feel like you're not doing a good job at anything. I can read an essay and know that I didn't understand it but decide I don't have time to read it again and go to class with a half-baked idea of what I'm supposed to know. I can write a paper and know it's not my best work but realize that I don't have the time or the desire to make it better. I see that I've been taking a backseat in my leadership positions in my extracurriculars but decide that schoolwork comes first, and I'll try better at the next meeting.

During these times, I don't feel like I have time to breathe and just enjoy my life. It's not fun having a long, hard day knowing that tomorrow — and maybe even the next day — will be the same. So yeah – being stressed sucks.

As a Christian, I find myself turning the Bible during these moments, seeking guidance in a time where I feel so overwhelmed I can't even begin to understand anything. One of the most important things I've learned through this — even more important than any education I've had this semester — is to "be still and know that [God] is God" (Psalm 46:10).

Stop scurrying around like an ant trying desperately to do it all, to be it all, because no one person is perfect and can do everything – be still. Know that the future is not in your hands, which is a good thing, because God will make it incredible. Know that you don't have to do or be everything because God will take up the burden. Stop trying to be the author of your life, because you never have been; leave that up to God – know that God is in control.

When I pray during my stressful times, I focus on peace. I forget about the stress, the deadlines, the meetings, everything, and focus on how I feel. How can I even attempt to do anything when my brain is exhausted? On days when I know I'll be busy, or moments when I feel overwhelmed, I pray for God's peace. I ask that peace be the ruler of my heart, not the anxiety (Colossians 3:15). I find that as the day goes on, I truly feel better about everything, which is a bigger blessing than any good grade could be. Take your concerns to a loving father and watch him transform you (1 Peter 5:7).

It's easy for the Christian college student to put God on the backburner while instead focusing on the stress. The busyness of life can become all-consuming when really the one thing that should be consuming us and wrecking us with his love and peace is God (1 John 3:1). Putting God first in my worst moments is something that I've been working on and will continue to pursue. It is my hope that you find your calm in the storm too.