ISIS Radicalizes Children While American Kids Lose Interest In Church

It's about time we took this seriously.

65
Islamic Relief Policy and Research

When you hear the words "radical religion," the first thing to come to the minds of many is radical Islam. This is a sensitive and extremely prevalent topic in the world we're living in, but this article isn't going to be about the terrorist attacks or threats we hear so much about. This is about something a little closer to home for a lot of us.

When we hear about radical Islam, it's scary. We see things on the news and read articles online, but how much do we know about this religion? A topic that came up recently was the topic of the children in these religions. What are they learning? What are they being taught? What are they exposed to?

In a story done by PBS Newshour, Afghan children are shown being trained by ISIS in a military school how to follow in the footsteps of terrorists. These children are as young as three years old and are being taught how to shoot a gun and go to war for their religion. It's terrifying and heartbreaking.

The ideals and beliefs of their religion are so ingrained in their minds, that by the time they are "grown up," they don't know any other way. They are trained this way and told that it is right, so much to the point that they are willing to live and die protecting these beliefs.

Now, the next point I'm going to make involves a bit of a crossover, and I'm going to do it as gently and cautiously as I know how because I know that connecting the points that I'm about to connect can seem very questionable. But hear me out.

In today's Christian church, what is the battle that is being fought involving our children?

It's the fight of losing them once they reach a certain age. Statistics are overwhelmingly discouraging with the amount of young people who leave the church once they reach their teenage or college years.

A lot is being said about how sad it is, and how helpless we are that our kids won't stay in church. But is it? Are we really that heartbroken about it? Is it really something that we're feeling guilty about? Or are we just pointing out the statistics in the hopes that our kids will stick around? I'm not a parent, so I can't speak with too much experience about trying to keep my kids in church. But doesn't it seem like the "problem" is getting passed right by and not really taken seriously?

Because the truth is, if churches really wanted to confront this problem, they'd be taking action. Here's the reality of it all; if children are leaving the church, the adults are the ones responsible.

In my church, whenever a new baby is being dedicated, the pastor (my dad) asks the congregation, "Will you commit yourself as the Body of Christ to support and encourage these parents as they endeavor to fulfill their responsibilities to this child and to assist by nurturing his/her growth toward spiritual maturity?" to which the congregation responds, "We will." Now, this seems like a lifelong commitment. The Body of Christ has committed to guiding that child in their spiritual walk.

I've sat in the service and been one of the people that says "I will." I don't take that lightly. Children are and always will be the future of everything. That's big.

So when I hear people complaining that our children aren't staying in church, whose fault is that? The kids'? Eh, maybe. But mostly, it's those who promised to help that child and bring them up in church.

Your next argument may be, "But we did raise them in church! Every Sunday morning, we brought our kids to church."

OK. You're already doing a lot more than most. But are you a "dine and dash" type of Christian? (Meaning that you come to service and then leave right after, without any real connection to the church body.) What are you living out at home? Do you bring your kids to other church events and activities? Is one hour once a week enough? What example are you leading by, parents? This is not just a lesson for parents, though. How about church leaders? Are you reaching out? Are you being proactive? Are you being connected? Are you concerned?

Here's a thought that will tie everything together: radical Islamic parents are so dedicated to their religion that they tirelessly teach their children what to believe, and it works. Those children grow up and, unfortunately, die for their cause. Yet we believe that there is nothing we can do to keep Christian kids in the faith. And that is a lie we convince ourselves is true. It should scare you that they are capable of teaching their children to fight and kill for their "god" who can offer them nothing, while we can't even keep our kids interested in the most wonderful gift they could ever receive in Jesus Christ.

Stop believing that kids are walking away from church on their own. They're walking away because they aren't being invited to stay. They're walking away because they aren't being shown that there's something to stay for. It takes more than words; it takes action. We need to prove to our kids that they are worth fighting for.

"Bring up a child by teaching him the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn away from it." -Proverbs 22:6