Kappa Delta Shamrock 2014

Kappa Delta Shamrock 2014

14

Whether you’re an athlete or simply a fan, get your game-face on because it's time to play ball! 

Kappa Delta is hosting their annual philanthropy event, the Shamrock Softball Tournament, on March 7th through 9th. 

Every year, Kappa Delta’s across America hold "Shamrock Events" in order to raise funds for local and national child abuse prevention efforts. 

OSU's Kappa Delta Nu chapter hosts an annual softball tournament benefitting Stillwater's Wings of Hope Family Crisis Services along with their national philanthropy, Prevent Child Abuse America. This weekend-long tournament has fraternities and teams from the community compete for the title of champion as well a sweet $500 prize. 

Last year, Kappa Delta Nu chapter raised $50,100 through their efforts. This year they're aiming higher!

The event kicks off on March 7th in full-force, complete with an opening ceremony, cookout, raffle and great prizes. After the cookout, the games begin! Emmie Humphry, sophomore Kappa Delta, is the head of Shamrock this year. 

“One of my favorite parts about Shamrock is seeing the way our Greek community comes together for our efforts,” she said. “Whether it’s a game at 8 a.m. or 10 p.m., everyone comes with a great attitude.”

Wondering why the softball tournament is called "Shamrock”? 

"It started probably around thirty years ago," Humphrey said. "The event used to take place on Saint Patrick's Day, hence 'Shamrock,’ and the name stuck! We've hosted the softball tournament at OSU for many years now, and it continues to grow in popularity and success every year."

As a member of Kappa Delta myself, I'm really looking forward to the event. Last year’s tournament was so incredibly cold, I can remember sitting outside in something like 19 degrees! All of us were bundled up in coats and blankets, sipping hot chocolate, while some of the players were sweating and wearing short sleeve shirts. My fingers are crossed for warmer weather this year, but regardless of the temperature the tourney will still be a blast.

Head on out to Stillwater's Sanborn Softball Fields for a fun-filled weekend of softball, while also supporting a great cause!