A Review of Kanye West's New Album: "The Life of Pablo"

See why Kanye lived up to the hype and exceeded far past it.

22
HypeBeast

Kanye West. When you say or hear that name, you think: icon, legend, mastermind, musical genius, businessman, narcissist, crazy, and the list goes on for years. One thing all people can agree on is that he is a man that isn’t afraid to dream. That is why his label is properly titled G.O.O.D. Music, which stands for Getting Out Our Dreams. When it comes to music, Kanye takes all risks and makes giant leaps to stretch boundaries most people believe exist. From the moment when he decided to drop out of college and pursue a musical career to the moment when he decided to start rapping while he was still producing, he has constantly reinvented himself. No idea or concept has been too abstract for him to create or impact in any way.

With six albums (really eight, if you count "Watch the Throne" and "Cruel Summer") to his name, Kanye West has consistently set the standard and raised the bar on artistry with each album release. Even if you couldn't see his vision at the time, you always knew Kanye's vision was clear. There were no accidents; everything from the smallest touches on a beat to the artwork on the album cover to the album roll out was meticulously crafted and calculated.

So after a three-year-long wait, three title changes, and an unprecedented number of setbacks, Kanye West’s seventh studio album, "The Life of Pablo," has finally arrived. To be honest I haven’t been this excited about a Kanye album since the release of "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy." Even though I heard the live stream of the album through TIDAL, as a music lover, I want to hear this album through my own headphones so I can hear every little intricate detail and get the full experience. This review is going to be the full track-by-track analysis of all 18 songs on the album.

1. “Ultra Light Beam,” featuring Chance the Rapper and Kirk Franklin

This is the only song I missed during the live stream, so this is my first time hearing it. Damn, this is a great start to the album. Who is this woman singing; she is so soulful? Goddamn, Chance's verse is fire! Haven’t heard Kanye this soulful since "The College Dropout" days. I swear this song is taking me to the light, I don’t know if I’m going to be able to finish this review. This is pure church right here. Is that Kirk Franklin? Kirk just blessed this track with a strong prayer. This makes me want to go to church, catch the Holy Ghost, and confess my sins out loud. Why you doing this to me, Kanye?

2. "Father Stretch My Hands, Part 1"

This is where I started during the live stream. Not going to lie when I first heard this, I wanted to jump out of my body because I thought this was Future on the hook. To my surprise, it’s Kid Cudi… Give me a second, I just had to shed a tear. This sample and beat is fire, pure flames. This is essential Kanye and Cudi right here - their chemistry is simply poetic! This is new theme song for the morning. Makes me wake up with a smile on my face and just say screw the haters. It’s short, but overall - it’s a dope track.

3. “Father Stretch My Hands, Part 2,” featuring Desiigner

The transition from Part 1 to this is flawless and smooth. You get heavy claps and Kanye spittin' bars I ain’t know he had left on this. The beat and flow is nice. Again it sounds like Future on the hook, but it’s G.O.O.D. music new signee Desiigner (aka baby Future). It’s a good track overall.

4. “Famous,” featuring Rihanna and Swizz Beatz

Another great transition into a song. Rihanna slaying vocals as always, bringing that “All of the Lights” vibe back. But wait a minute, I wasn’t ready for that drop. Warning... this beat is liable to burn off your ears. This track has solar flare temperatures and it keeps increasing… It’s over 9000 degrees for sure! That line about Taylor Swift is hilarious as hell. Kanye gets on his braggadocious sh*t and Swizz boasting him as his hype man in the background. When Swizz said “Wake up, Mr. West,” I knew Kanye is back and more focused than ever. This is one of the rare songs where Swizz's voice doesn’t kill the track entirely. That sample at the end is so random, but fits perfectly with this track. I see why Madison Square Garden went crazy and was rocking. Amazing job, Mr. West, simply amazing.

5. “Feedback”

Excuse me, I had to go find myself after that track. This track beat is so abstract, but so up-tempo you can’t help but rock your head. “Wake up, n---a wake up!!!” I’m awake Kanye, and I don’t ever want to go to sleep again. The beat is grimy and the strings sound like they belong inside a haunted house. This seriously sounds like it was a loosie off of "Yeezus." Not gonna lie though, I like Kanye's flow and his energy brings life to this track. The ending is hilarious: Kanye pulled an Oprah, so hopefully I get a fur coat, private jet, and big booty chick.

6. “Low Lights”

It’s good to see Kanye continuing his concept of lights in his works. This is an interlude into “Highlights,” but this is so soulful. Kanye has somehow made an abstract, gospel, hip-hop album. Who is this woman preaching this powerful sermon? It fits well with the production.

7. “Highlights,” featuring Young Thug, El Debarge and The Dream

Yet another smooth transition into a track. Kanye, Young Thug and The Dream actually make a good team on this track, and the heavy use of autotune works well. The production on here has been amazing so far. I kind of wish El Debarge had a couple more lines on here, but those three were enough to satisfy me. Kanye is laying good bars on this thing and it slaps.

8. “Freestyle 4,” featuring Desiigner

This track is very techno-esque, but I’m digging Kanye’s energy on here. It sounds like Kanye is actually free styling on this especially with lines like, “What if we f****d right in the middle of this dinner table?” I could have done without Desiigner on this track, but overall the beat knocks.

9 . “I Love Kanye”

This is a poem which has a satirical take on the “Kanye Loves Kanye” memes. He is using this space to talk about himself from the third person in a hilarious way. “See, I invented Kanye, it wasn't any Kanyes; And now I look and look around and there's so many Kanyes.” Good to see he hasn’t lost his humor.

10. “Waves,” featuring Chris Brown

This is the notorious track that delayed the album two days after it’s initial release, and well, I can’t see why this track was so essential to have on the album. Love the production on it, but it really sounds like an interlude. I feel Chris Brown's presence on here more than Kanye's and that’s hard to say and do. This really sounds like another interlude. This is the one skip so far for me.

11. “FML,” featuring The Weeknd

I like this so far: it’s very minimal and it seems to be the honest Kanye speaking here. This song has a slow flow, but it’s very sincere. This track is really getting to “The layers to my soul.” The Weeknd just took this track to another level, and I honestly would have preferred him on the last track. These drums just dropped like a meteor shower and the autotune meshes well here. I’m loving this one from beginning until end.

12. “Real Friends,” featuring Ty Dolla $ign

This is one of the few tracks released before the album dropped and, honestly, this is one of my favorite songs because it shows Kanye at his most vulnerable. The beat is haunting and gives you a reflective vibe. You can really vibe to this song here. This is relatable to everyone because we all have these same thoughts about a friend at one point of time and it makes you want to be a better friend, a real friend. Ty $ and Kanye are one of the most unlikely, but incredible, combinations; they definitely need more songs together.

13. “Wolves,” featuring Caroline Shaw and Frank Ocean

The beat hasn’t even dropped yet, but the sub-bass and background vocalist has me in a trance. My soul is slowly leaving my body. Kanye, why you doing this to me? I got a long life to live. This has a "808s & Heartbreak," Blame Game” vibe to it. That wolf sample is perfect and that effect on the vocals is simply amazing. Wait, who is that singing!?! Is that Frank Ocean? It is him? Back from the grave? Yep, my soul officially has left the building. Amazing; simply amazing track right here.

14. “Silver Surfer Intermission,” featuring Max B

As a comic-book nerd (team Marvel), I love the title. This is interlude features the 'wavy one,' no other than Max B. Here he is simply giving 'Ye a shoutout and showing him love and support. Hope all is well with Max B and hopes he gets out soon.

15. “30 Hours,” featuring Andre 3000

The sample for this is so smooth and the beat is wavy. Kanye spittin' dope bars here; whoever helped write on this album has done an amazing job. This track finds Kanye reflecting back on a past relationship — likely with Sumeke Rainey— from the point of view of his present relationship with Kim (Kardashian). Sadly, Three Stacks did not bless the track with a verse, but if he did, it would be out-of-worldly.

16. “No More Parties In LA,” featuring Kendrick Lamar

This is true hip-hop right here: Kanye and Kendrick Lamar trading bars like jabs. The beat takes a backseat to these fire lyrics from these outstanding artists. The sample is all over the place, but once agains fits with the song. I’m torn between who had the best verse because 'Ye actually held his own with King Kendrick (a rare feat). Dope track right here.

17. “Facts,” (Charlie Heat Version)

When this track first came out I was wondering what Kanye was thinking, but listening to the Charlie Heat Vision version… that's a different story. Charlie Heat must’ve gave 'Ye a Snickers bar because he wasn’t acting like himself. Charlie definitely worked his magic on this one. The beat switches are crazy, but cohesive at once. Good work, Charlie, good work.

18. “Fade,” featuring Post Malone and Ty Dolla $ign

This is the final track to end this great saga. This is another very heavily Auto-Tuned record, but with mid-tempo. This could easily fit somewhere between "808s & Heartbreak" and "Cruel Summer." Ty kills it as always and Post isn't half bad. The production is insane - it drives the record. This one is going to have to grow on me.

Phew, what a ride… What a ride Mr. West took us on! I feel like riding again and again. Kanye definitely proved why his genius shouldn’t be questioned or not marveled at once again. I had my doubts prior from the release, but Kanye put them in the grave. This album feels like a story of growth in his music and career as a whole. You get a little of everything of Kanye’s work on here, from "College Dropout" to "Yeezus."

This new album also shows off his creativity and lack of fear to experiment with sounds. The guest features really elevated the album as well and brings out the full potential of each track, in my opinion. The production... the production speaks for itself; it’s mind blowing! The beats and instrumentation sound like they were made in Steven Spielberg's, Wes Craven's, and Michael Bay's heads. There’s no real concept to this; it’s pretty much everywhere. It’s an embodiment of schizophrenia.

This album is going to effect how you think, feel and behave. It’s going to make you lose touch with reality at some point, and I think that what he was what he was going for with this one. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this album and think this has album of the year… Wait, no. Album of the decade ...worthiness to it. Kanye really outdid himself with this one and expressed his artistry to the fullest, even with the fashion show.

Essential Tracks: “Father Strech My Hands Part 1,” “Famous,” “Real Friends,” “Wolves,” and “FML.”