Five Things You Need To Do In Kansas City Before The End Of The Holiday Season

With only one week left, here are the five things you should try squeezing in before the end of the holiday season

18
Country Club Plaza- Wikipedia

Listen up, it’s time to stop messing around. There is only one week left until Christmas and how many light displays have you gone to see? I know December gets busy, but if your answer is less than five, you need this article. If it’s more than five, you need this article too because obviously you just can’t get enough of Christmas.

Now some people think you need to go to places like New York City and Rockefeller Center to see spectacular light displays and Christmas trees. I’m here to tell you that just isn’t true. Kansas City has many of its own beautiful displays that everyone needs to see each holiday season. In the week you have left, use the list below to see five of the most Christmas attractions in Kansas City.

1. Go see the lights on the Country Club Plaza

You don’t need me to tell you about the iconic Christmas scene at the Country Club Plaza. Bundle up and grab some Scooter’s coffee or hot chocolate from Starbucks, then walk around and soak in the unique Christmas atmosphere. The horse-drawn carriages will provide a bit of a different soundtrack as you stroll through the streets and window shop.

2. Visit Zona Rosa

Whether it’s a short 10-minute drive or you have to make the trip from Overland Park, it’s worth it. No, Zona Rosa doesn’t have any stores that you won’t find elsewhere in Kansas City, but it does have a completely different atmosphere. Make your last-minute holiday shopping list, wait until the sun goes down then enjoy the lights and music as you hustle from store to store to find that perfect gift.

3. Drive to Longview Lake for Christmas in the Park

Yes, I know Longview Lake is a bit out of the way for most of Kansas City. What a great opportunity to put on some classic holiday tunes and jam out with your friends or significant other on a mini road trip to Lee’s Summit.

This holiday attraction has over 300,000 bulbs and you get to pick your own Christmas music as you cruise slowly through Longview Campground. Pack some snacks because the traffic may be bumper to bumper, but it’s worth it.

Don’t let the drive deter you and add this to your “must see” list for this holiday season. You won’t regret it.

4. Take a trip to Candy Cane Lane

On the 7900 block of Outlook street in Prairie Village, you can find another type of unique Christmas display. This street, known as Candy Cane Lane, has a 58-year-old tradition of each house having at least one four-foot candy cane decoration along the street. Each home also has other various Christmas decorations to compliment the candy canes the cul de sac is known for. This is an easy-to-see hidden treasure that is a must-add to your Christmas tour of Kansas City.

5. Use the Mayor’s Christmas tree as a photo op

Crown Center is a great place to visit any day of the year, but especially during the holiday season. Between the toy train, Crayola Land and the huge Christmas tree in the middle of it all, there is plenty to do to keep family members of all ages entertained. The Crown Center Ice Terrace is one of my personal favorite holiday activities. Tuesdays are BOGO at the Ice Terrace. For two people it would cost you $12 to rent two pairs of ice skates and go skate in the glow of the Mayor’s Christmas tree.

This iconic scene will not only bring you some of that Christmas joy that we all need this time of year, but also an opportunity to snap a good photo for Instagram. Whether you

pose on the ice with your partner or in front of the Mayor’s Christmas tree with your whole family, take advantage of the gorgeous scenery all around Crown Center for a great Christmas photo.