11 K-Pop To Check Out If You Want To Expand Beyond BTS
Music

11 K-Pop Artists Beyond BTS You Should Be Paying More Attention To

K-pop is more than just BTS and Blackpink.

139

You can't glance at the charts for this year without seeing entries from BTS and Blackpink, but there are many K-Pop artists and groups that are just as talented and deserve the attention their peers are receiving.

1. Hyuna

You might recognize Hyuna as the girl from the “Gangnam Style" music video. However, Hyuna has had a lucrative career of her own and has been active since she was a teenager. Despite the fact she was just booted from her entertainment company, due to coming out with her relationship with fellow K-Pop star, E'dawn, Hyuna isn't slowing down any time soon and afternoon watching a few of her videos she will definitely be your new queen.

2. NCT

Having just debuted last year, NCT is made up of 18 members and are split into 3 different units. With so many members, NCT has already explored various different genres and styles of music and worked to use the individual talents of the members. NCT is worth a listen and I'll guarantee at least one song will have you dancing and feeling yourself.

3. Jay Park

Originally hailing from Seattle, Jay Park is a K-Pop idol with local connections! This makes him popular on both sides of the Pacific and his music is always pushing the envelope. Known for his R&B and hip hop sounds, he does incorporate aspects of many other genres in his music and is one of the leading soloists today.

4. Amber Liu

You may have seen Amber Liu in a number of Buzzfeed videos. Having been criticized for her masculine appearance, Amber continues to persevere and be herself. While her group f(x) hasn't been active for a while, both they and Amber have remained active with their fans and have dabbled in solo projects.

5. GOT7

GOT7 is another boy group in the vein of BTS. Debuting in 2015, the 7 member band has a large fan base both within South Korea and outside. Their songs vary in style and while they share many similarities with BTS, the band manages to separated themselves.

6. Monsta X

A more recently formed boy group, Monsta X is just beginning to see their popularity rise both overseas and in South Korea. With a sound that blends hip hop, electronic, and pop music, their songs are also fun and dance worthy. They are often known for their beautifully produced and aesthetic music videos.

7. Twice

As one of the highest grossing girl bands in South Korea, Twice has been taking the world by storm. The girl group is comprised of nine members and is known for their large fan base and catchy tunes.

8. Red Velvet

Red Velvet is a five-person girl group that deserves much more international attention than they currently receive. Known for their hits like "Russian Roulette" and "Ice Cream Cake". Their songs range from cutesy and bubbly to elegant and mature, making Red Velvet a diverse group that can take on any concept.

9. Sunmi

Sunmi, like Hyuna, has been active since she was a teenager. Other than being breathtakingly gorgeous and talented, Sunmi has a reputation for being one of the nicest idols in K-Pop. “Gashina" is also a total bop and female empowerment anthem that you'll have on repeat.

10. Seventeen

Once again, another boy group. Contrary to their name, the group has 13 members, and like NCT, is divided into units. Much like BTS, the members of Seventeen are deeply involved in the music making process including writing and production. This gives their music authenticity and shows the talent of each of the members.

11. Holland

Holland made news earlier this year for becoming the first openly gay K-pop star. Not only does this show great progression for LGBT rights in South Korea and Asia, but Holland's openness and acceptance of himself is honestly inspiring. And, to top it all off, his music is great and he's fiercely talented.