Justin Trudeau Joins The Gender Inequality Fight.

Justin Trudeau, Canadian Prime Minister, has recently joined the Global Fund cause ONE campaign – which was co-founded by U2 member, Bono. The ONE campaign is an international non-profit organization that fights poverty and preventable disease. Mr. Trudeau wrote, in a letter released to the media responding to the ONE campaign, that he believes there is a link between gender inequality and extreme poverty.

The Prime Minister’s letter announced a $785 million contribution towards the Global Fund. “Women and girls are less likely to get an education, more likely to be impoverished, and face greater risk of disease and poor health,” said Trudeau to the Huffington Post. The pro-feminism Canadian leader has made it very clear that he wants Canada to take a big part on the fight for equality and the fight against poverty as well. The money mentioned is a re-announcement of money that was previously talked about in May when Canada declared it would be the host for a conference that aims to end AIDS/HIV, malaria and tuberculosis. President Barack Obama hosted the last conference; it happened in Washington, D.C., USA in 2013.

The organization had sent a letter to world leaders on the eve of International Women’s Day. Trudeau wrote on his letter that “Canada can play an important role, but we need other leaders around the world to step up, too,” and added that the campaign must remain strong and urge world leaders to react to it.

The call to action has been signed by more than 206,000 people (data collected on Thursday, Aug 25th), and it is still going on.

According to the ONE campaign website, many influential people have joined the cause. Oprah Winfrey, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, Meryl Streep, and Melinda Gates are a few of the many who have been speaking up for women’s rights and fighting gender inequality.

The name ONE was inspired by the belief that one voice, regardless of gender, race or sexual orientation, once put together with many others can make the world a better place. “Sexism is global. The fight against it should be too.”

Sign the petition and join the cause here.