Justin Timberlake & The Tennessee Kids: A Review

An overview of the new Netflix concert film

119

Whenever Justin Timberlake does something he does it in the biggest, best possible way for it to be done. Some other artists have put their concerts on Netflix within the last few years such as Katy Perry and Justin Bieber, but nothing compares to what quality is shown in the concert given by the one and only Justin Timberlake. Timberlake’s pure, raw talent and charismatic soul are just the beginning of a showcase of how successful he is. He’s a 9 time Grammy Award Winner plus he’s won 11 American Music Awards, 10 Billboard Music Awards and 11 MTV Video Music Awards. Not to mention, he received the Michael Jackson Vanguard Award in 2013. On top of his success as a musician, Justin also has 4 Emmy Awards under his belt. There is nothing this man cannot do.

Therefore, the surprise to hear that Justin Timberlake was putting a concert movie on Netflix was absolutely shocking and exciting. It’s everything a fan could want, especially a fan who’s a college student and definitely cannot afford tickets to a Justin Timberlake concert. Wednesday October 12, 2016, the wishes of many were granted by giving anyone with Netflix front row seat to a Justin Timberlake concert. This wasn’t just any concert though. This was the final show performed on The 20/20 Experience World Tour at Las Vegas’ MGM Grand Garden Arena. This tour itself was highly anticipated after Timberlake’s hiatus from music for just over 6 years. His highly awaited album, The 20/20 Experience, is a two-part album that makes any Timberlake fan extremely proud. This album and many other hits by Timberlake that are showcased in this concert that will remind you why the music industry desperately needs people like Justin Timberlake.

The beginning of the movie spends at least 10 minutes introducing various dancers, crew members and members of The Tennessee Kids. This didn’t have to be done at all of course, but it’s obvious how important everyone is to Justin. You are given an inside look into some of the backstage at Timberlake’s concert, including what looks like where Timberlake himself hangs out before it’s show time. Timberlake and all of the members of this large production are seen in a circle pre-show saying a prayer. Which if you’ve seen concert movies before, pre-show rituals are extremely popular. The part that really was great was after the prayer, everyone began clapping and singing “We got the greatest, right here in Vegas”. Which after watching this concert, and even before, I believe they have absolutely every right to be chanting just that.

The first track on Timberlake’s newest album was the opening song for the concert, Pusher Love Girl. He starts with an almost completely acapella segment at his entrance before bringing the band in to burst into the rest of the song. Right from the start, you can tell 100% that this man is not just talented. Timberlake’s charisma is plain in sight, all over and completely undeniable. He is not just a musician, he is an entertainer. Throughout the show this is evident, but to see it right off the bat is a sign of how engraved this is in who he is.

Next, there is only an introduction into the song Gimme What I Don’t Know before a transition into the hit Rock Your Body from Timberlake’s first solo album. There is yet another introduction into the song Don’t Hold the Wall which is followed by a performance of FutureSex/LoveSound, the title track from Timberlake’s second album. From here he sings a few more of his hits such as Like I Love You, a partially slowed down rendition of My Love, and LoveStoned. After LoveStoned though, the concert seems to take a twist into a variety of songs and swaying from its original theme which was filled with love and sex. We are left to realize that Timberlake’s concert is more than just the 90 minutes of footage in this film and songs are definitely left out of this movie.

Justin is found playing the piano and singing Until The End Of Time for his next song. Followed by the beginning of the song Holy Grail, which is normally done with Jay-Z, but Timberlake sings only his first section of the song. We are finally given more performances from the newest album which include Only When I Walk Away, Drink You Away (which includes seeing Justin play guitar) and Let the Groove Get In. That last song is done above the audience giving opportunity for Timberlake to interact with and get closer to those who are father away from the stage.

Timberlake also has a second stage out in the crowd as well that he performs on. Before he gives any performances from that second stage, he goes into the crowd to accept a shot from Timothy Mosely a.k.a. Timbaland. There is absolutely no surprise that Timbaland is found in the audience because Justin has spent his career working side by side musical with Timbaland. Timbaland is an essential piece of Timberlake’s work as an artist and I can only imagine how proud Timbaland must be to work with Justin and see him perform what together they have created.

After this interacting, we get to experience a cover of Michael Jackson’s Human Nature, which Timberlake does a great job with. Followed by his hit What Goes Around that again displays Timberlake on guitar and then another cover. This time it’s Poison by Bell Biv Devoe and some of the Tennessee Kids are given their own solo parts during the cover. The last few songs are more of Justin’s hits, which include Suit & Tie and Mirrors from the newest album. In between the two songs is SexyBack, which Timberlake finds time during the performance to state “I still run this bitch”. It’s more than evident that this is true and he’s proud to say it. The show closes with Mirrors and before the end of the film we are left with the statement that Justin dedicates the film to Prince. The end of the film is footage of the set being built and all of the names of members in the film and who are a part of this large ordeal.

My first thoughts after watching this were just one word, wow. There isn’t a way to do sum up Timberlake’s abilities in a way that would even remotely do him justice. His vocals cannot be replace because there isn’t anything he can’t sing or make sound good. His sound is distinct because only the most iconic figures have their own unique sound. The way he moves his feet is in ways that not many can. He makes it look easy. His stage presence is phenomenal. Justin is charismatic, he draws you into the show and does it in a way that even though I’ve never been to a concert of his, I now feel as though I have. He’s classy and professional, he wears a suit for his show and so does the band. He doesn’t just wear whatever he’s feeling like that day or some particular outfit that was decided on. The simplicity of putting everyone in black and white makes it feel like a formal ordeal. Timberlake evidently takes great pride in his appearance. I wouldn't change a thing about this film other than the fact I would ask for more.

As a fan, I’m enthusiastic about the fact that Justin Timberlake is and can be considered one of the greats. For generations before mine they had Michael Jackson and we have Justin Timberlake. Justin Timberlake is NOT a Michael Jackson; he is his own person with his own agenda but, he is influential and great like Jackson was. He will continue to leave a legacy behind him as he goes on. This Netflix film is just another reason to prove that Timberlake is a phenomenal entertainer. I absolutely loved this film and seeing Justin Timberlake in concert is definitely number 1 on my concert bucket list.