Just Call Me Chrissy

Just Call Me Chrissy

I wish.

47
Just Call Me Chrissy
New York Daily News

Throughout the first 12 years of schooling there has always been a question frequently asked by my teachers: “Who is your role model?”. I always had the same answer, my parents of course. However, the question went deeper when asked to expand my thoughts beyond my family. Unfortunately, there was no one who I had been able to relate to in the public eye. I felt that I was different than everyone else and did everything I could to conform to societal norms. As my senior year of high school was coming to a close, it was difficult for me to spend my days with a positive mindset. I was always the girl who never wanted to leave home, I still don’t. I needed a distraction and, as a result, I turned to twitter.

I have always had a love for John Legend but never heard about his better half, Christine Teigen. I remember the exact moment when I discovered Chrissy. I was sitting in my grandmother’s car on my way to the grocery store. (notice how often food plays a role in my life, much like Chrissy's). I was not in the best mood and decided to immerse myself in social media. I picked up my phone as a distraction and stumbled upon an article on Buzzfeed. It was video after video of her failed attempts at making a Saint Patricks day green velvet cheesecake. Someone who is suppose to be perceived as perfect displayed to the universe how easy it is to laugh at ones self and I was immediately hooked.

I knew from then on I would live my life the way in which Chrissy lives hers. From these past few years of following her on social media I have come to view Chrissy as such an important influence in my life. She expresses what she believes and doesn’t allow backlash to get the best of her. Chrissy has taught me that there is power in fighting back and being yourself. Why be the same as everyone else when you can be a badass like Chrissy Teigen?

It took me a long time to accept who I was and not what others wanted me to be. For 17 years of my life there was always something about me that I would obsess over. I was too short. Too fat. My boobs were too big. I wasn’t athletic enough. My voice was annoying and squeaky. I was too disruptive. It was always difficult for me to understand how to act in certain situations. Although Chrissy has absolutely no idea who I am (I would probably cry and vomit if she did) she has been able teach me how to be true to myself. I have gained an enormous amount of confidence due to her influence.

Sometimes it’s important to kill people with kindness and other times it’s okay to use that big fat mouth I was given. I now know that it doesn’t matter what other people think of me as long as I am happy and not causing any damage. Ever since I came out of the womb, I have had an attitude. As the years have progressed that attitude has turned into sarcasm and wit. I would like to thank my father for these characteristics.

ANYWAY, I have always been told that the way I carried myself could possibly offend others. But then this wonder woman graced my screen and taught me that it’s okay to be quirky. I was then able to start laughing at my mistakes and make fun of my bizarre antics.

Chrissy Teigen is changing the game regarding what it means to be a model and an influential public figure in the 21st century. One thing I remember above all is a photo she posted a few years ago embracing her stretch marks. Chrissy decided to coin the term “stretchies” and display all of her “perfect imperfections” to the world. I have always had an hourglass shaped figure and the older I got, the more stretch marks would appear on thighs. It wasn’t until this Instagram was released to the world where I was finally able to accept every single “flaw” about myself. Watching a supermodel embrace something that I always believed to be embarrassing was a total game changer for me. She has been able to reform the way in which millennials view and perceive content via social media. She refuses to allow negativity affect her mood and, in turn, expresses herself through humor and strength. This is something to admire.

Even though Chrissy lives a life of fame and glamour, she still holds her family above all. She is extremely in touch with her roots and expresses her heritage any chance she gets. It is evident to see how important these roles play in her life, especially the presence of food. Last year Chrissy came out with an incredible cookbook. I mean, what supermodel creates a cook book with food that you actually want to eat?! Being an aspiring chef myself, it is evident to see the connection I have with this inspiration of a woman. And screw the judgment's of others. Conforming to what the world expects of you is boring. Don’t be boring, be Chrissy.

Long story short: Nothing is better than a warm home cooked meal surrounded by the people (and dogs) you love the most.