Why You Still Need To Wear A Mask In Phase 4

Just Because Illinois Entered Phase Four Does NOT Mean You Should Stop Wearing Your Mask

Wearing a mask is a very simple step that we can take in reducing the spread of COVID-19.

3036

While coronavirus (COVID-19) cases are on the rise in many states, Illinois is seeing a consistent decrease in COVID-19 related deaths. Though businesses and restaurants are opening, it is important to remember that just because we are in phase four does not mean the virus has gone away.

As we begin to dine-in at restaurants and enter bars again, we cannot forget the dangers that encompass these actions.

I have done some patio dining in recent weeks, and the thing that I am most confused by throughout this entire experience is the lack of people wearing masks and practicing social distancing. I stopped at a bar over the weekend and was disappointed to find that tables were placed relatively close together and the patio seemed to be at maximum capacity. Though it was outside, people were not wearing masks or practicing social distancing. As most establishments require customers to wear masks when entering inside to use the bathroom, I have seen many places that are not strictly enforcing it.

With that, I urge you to continue to educate yourself on the risks of COVID-19 and in-person dining at this time. After experiencing it myself, my opinion has changed greatly, and I do not feel as safe as I thought I might. It is important to note that, even if a server is wearing a mask, the risk of transmission is likely higher if you are not. Wearing masks may not be the most pleasant task, but it is a very small and simple action that we can take to play our part in reducing the spread of COVID-19. The world is not going to go back to the way that it once was, but the more we push back against this virus and don't wear masks or practice social distancing, we are only hurting ourselves in the long run.