Yes, Let's Applaud Kelly Osbourne's Weight Loss Journey, But Let's Remember That ALL Bodies Deserve Love

Body positivity is a journey, and not all journeys are identical.

1700

In case you missed the memo, Kelly Osbourne, daughter of Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne, and reality star in her own right, just happens to be looking a little slimmer these days. The reality star took to Instagram to show off her new, purple hairstyle, and her slimmer look was noticed by some commenters on social media.

Now, I wanted to take a minute and congratulate her on what she has said was "hard work" for her to get to a place of loving and accepting her body. Body positivity and self-love/acceptance isn't a one-size-fits-all thing, and it's clear that she has struggled for most of her life with being able to like the woman that she sees in the mirror.

To that end, I can personally relate to that, and I can understand how hard it is to love and accept your body for what it is.

With that being said, however, I think that it's also important to point out that you don't have to lose around 80 pounds to be able to start loving your body exactly as it is in this present moment. If it took Kelly losing that weight for her to be able to like the woman that she saw in the mirror, that is her own personal story and journey and I wholeheartedly feel that it is not my place to say anything negative to that end.

We all have our struggles and our insecurities when it comes to our bodies, and I refuse to demean or challenge any person who takes it upon themselves to better their overall outlook on their bodies in a healthy way.

However, with that being said, it's also important to take a step back and remember that while there is absolutely nothing wrong with being a size two, four, six, etc., all bodies are absolutely freaking beautiful, and every single person on the face of this planet deserves to feel like they're happy and healthy in the skin they're in.

It's not fatphobic to want to better yourself and love your body at a smaller size, but it is problematic, in my opinion, to think that you are only worthy of love, attention, and affection if your weight hits a certain number on the scale or if you fit into a certain size of jeans.

So, while Kelly Osbourne's weight loss journey is something that she should definitely celebrate, I think it would be wise for us all to remember that body positivity and self-love, in general, are journeys in themselves, as well, and not everyone's journey is identical. Self-love and body positivity comes in all shapes and forms — just like all bodies do.