Judy Fox

To embrace interest in feminist movements and child sexuality, the American artist Judy Fox creates ceramic sculptures of human figures. Fox represents these figures in the nude, to express her feelings on these topics. Her figures are life hand built and life size, creating a real life image to the viewer. The fifty-six yea told artist grew up in Elizabeth, New Jersey and now resides in New York City where she continues to work as a ceramic sculptor.

From her early ages, Fox took on the study of art. At the age of 17 in 1954, she began to study at Rhode Island School of Design in Providence, Rhode Island. Two years later she attended Skowhegan School of Painting and Sculpture. Here a nine week summer artist residency program was available for artist emerging into the visual world. When fox entered her early twenties, she attended Yale University, from which where she gained her Bachelor of the Arts degree. In 1979, Fox moved to Paris, proceeded to attend school at Ecole Superior Des Beaux Arts. The school in France is renowned for its art program and is an influential art school in France.

Judy fox creates works using materials such as marble, terracotta, hydrostone, aqua-resin and hydrostone/hydrocal. The techniques she uses too create her forms include hand hand building and carving. On a flat platform she then builds her pieces together. She is best known for her fired clay works. Fox paints her piece using casein paint, which allow for the build up of many washes. By giving the figures a natural body form and painting true features, her pieces tend to look realistic. Her pieces allow the expression of identity and the development of a humans body. Her focus on adolescent figures creates a strong connection to her thoughts on child sexuality. Creating nude adult figures allows for the expression of identity and a females view of a bodies form. Fox is not only interested in these topics, but also idealizes them to create a simple message. By being human herself, she can put personal experience into an artworks form.