From A Journalism Major With Writer's Block

There will always be something to talk about, but I won't always have something to say.

35

Writer's block - n. a psychological inhibition preventing a writer from proceeding with a piece.

When given the dictionary definition of the term writer's block, most of us would not tend to over-analyze its meaning. But from a writer's perspective? The idea is altogether cryptic. There is nothing a writer fears more than becoming "blocked," or utterly uninspired to the point that there is ultimately no content left to produce at the given time. Due to the fact that most writers must produce content by specific deadlines, coming face to face with writer's block is disruptive to a lifestyle on a multitude of levels. Overwhelming senses of fear and pressure often set in, and a writer tends to be left uncomfortable with the resulting work they are expected to publish... kind of like what I'm doing right now.

As a person who strives to write successfully for a living, I live by one standard - you write what you know. Yet, right now, this is all that I know. Regardless of where I travel or whom I encounter, I find myself lacking in the inspiration department. I see beautiful things and surround myself with wonderful people, though nothing quite seems to spark a muse. As a journalism major, I am continuously questioned about what it is that I want to spend my life writing about. I find myself deep in the experimental stages of the writing process, making it difficult for me to narrow in on writing about only one of the many things that I am passionate about. The only cure for this highly destructive diagnosis?

I, as well as every other writer who faces such a bump in the road, must remain pragmatic.

It is realistic to believe that, in the world that we live in, there will always be something to talk about. Yet, regardless of the topic of discussion, one may not always have something to say. You write what you know, and, if you think that you know nothing, you write about why.