JoJo Rabbit Movie Review

JoJo Rabbit Movie Review

Little late for a 2019 film.

27
JoJo Rabbit Movie Review
https://www.20thcenturystudios.com/movies/jojo-rabbit

Written and Directed by Taika Waititi this World War ll satire about a young German boy who has an imaginary friend who happens to be Adolf Hitler. Taika Waititi's humor and pathos within JoJo Rabbit creates an awareness of blind nationalism.

I will be talking about three points of this film; the overall theme of the film, my personal thoughts of the movie, and how the director made it a satire.

Since the film is staged during World War ll the audience can be very aware of the terrors that were brought about by Nazi Germans. With the main character of the film being a young ten year old boy it makes the audience question if we should judge certain people just based on their uniform or even their blind nationalism. Watching a young boy learn and realize that people hurt people and judging others just off false information or not personal experience can create a false reality. JoJo, the young German boy, seems to trust completely what his country says and believes blindly with the Nazi's though his is so young. It is very easy to see how Nazi Germany trained and brainwashed their youth in hopes to control them.

Personally, I already knew a background of the war and all the terrible things that took place at that time. As you may know the saying "time repeats itself" which I believe completely because certain things I see today match methods Adolf Hitler did in order to take over the world. Mainly on the aspects of false news or information in hopes to trick people into believing certain ideas.

I really enjoyed this film because of its use of humor to poke fun to Adolf Hitler and how the government trained the kids. I think the main message of the film it to not always believe what you are told and to learn to not hate just to hate. One part of the film which I thought was very humorous was when the kids were at Hitler Youth camp and the officers were explaining what the boys and girls will learn. The ridiculous teachings and when having young Jojo being made fun of creates a very satirical film over all.