How Joining PRSSA Helped Me Accomplish My Personal Goals

Goal #1 for semester... CHECK!

8
Wayne State University

A few weeks back I wrote an article in which I laid out five different goals that I personally made for myself to complete by the time the semester was over. With midterms right around the corner, the stress that was on my shoulders was a little heavier than usual and I did not think that I would be able to complete some of the goals on my list. However, this was until I was introduced to PRSSA during two of my classes on the same day! The very first goal I had written down for myself was, “Join a new club”, with this being said, PRSSA seemed like the perfect option for me.

1. Join a new club.

For two years, I have been apart of the Wayne State Women’s Golf Team. I always thought that I never had enough time or energy to go join any clubs around campus because being a college athlete can be extremely time consuming. However, this year, I plan to join a club that will benefit my future in someway.

Like I mentioned during the description of my first goal, I wanted the club I joined to benefit my future in some way and give me opportunities that I would not get otherwise. The first event I attended as a member of PRSSA was “Breakfast with the Pros." This was an informal event in which there were four Wayne State Alumni ahead of us talking about their lives as professionals since they graduated. These professionals are now employed with companies such as General Motors, Ford, DTE, Henry Ford Health and Finn Partners -- therefore, the nerves of meeting these types of professionals as a 20 year old were real.

To start my morning commute to campus on a great note, I got stuck behind a train that put a dent of 10 minutes into my drive. To make matters worse, I forgot to top off my travel mug with hot coffee so my trip was filled with coffee on the brink of being cold and questionable runnings of yellowish-red lights on the way to campus. I finally ended up paying for street parking once I reached Midtown because the five minute walk from my allotted parking lot was not going to do it since I was in heels.

Once I made it to the event, the Wayne State Alumni that were there gave us amazing insight into what we as students should be doing right now during our time at Wayne State in order to help us in the future. Tips were flying off the Wayne State Alumni’s tongues faster than I could comprehend. The professionals were kind enough to give us advice on classes to take, articles to put in portfolios and tips on interviewing for internships.

Overall, I am beyond excited that I was able to accomplish one of my five goals for the semester, and cannot wait to accomplish the other four.

Stay tuned.