6 Reasons to Join GCC's Field Hockey Team

You won't regret it

116
Watertown Splash

If someone would have told me four years ago that I would be playing field hockey at college, I probably would've laughed in his face. I had hardly even heard of the sport other than that one time everyone thought Alison was killed with Spencer's field hockey stick in the early days of PLL. This past week marked the beginning of my second year on Grove City College's Club Field Hockey team, and words can't describe how thankful I am that I made the decision to join last fall. Here are some reasons why you should consider joining our team this fall...

1. Being on the team.

If I'm honest, I don't play field hockey because I love the sport with all my heart. A big portion of why I'm sticking around this year is because of the team. Our team is filled with some of the sweetest, most loving girls and guys (I'll get to that later) that I've ever met. Being apart of any team normally results in meeting people and making new friends that you otherwise would not have seen.The friendships I made last year are ones that I wouldn't trade for the world, and I am excited to see the new ones that develop this fall.

2. Experience is not a requirement.

The first time I ever touched a field hockey stick was when I drove to the Dick's in Cranberry to purchase mine two days before our first practice last September. That semester almost half of the girls on our team had no experience, but that was totally okay! The more experienced girls on the team have been ever so gracious with us newbies and have taken the time to teach us the simplest of things like dribbling and passing. If lack of experience is the only thing holding you back, join the team!

3. To all the men out there, join us!

I only found out about this yesterday (last Monday), but apparently we are allowed to have up to four guys on our team. At our first practice yesterday, we had two dudes join us, so there is still room for two more. You may think it's lame or only for girls, but in other countries like England, it's a big thing. So if you have any life aspirations of moving to England and marrying a British girl, this may just be a good way to impress. Also, we promise you won't need to wear a skirt.

4. We're legit but not that legit.

There are three levels of collegiate sports here at GCC. There are varsity sports, followed by club sports and lastly intramural sports. Personally, I view being on a club team as the perfect in between. We're legit but not really. Varsity sports can be tough to get on and be super time-consuming. IM sports are fun, but often only last for a month or two. Club sports are the perfect middle ground! Adding to our legitness, this year is our recent membership to National Field Hockey League! This means we will have more games including ones against Penn State and Temple!

5. Working out is more fun with others.

Did you tell yourself that you would work out more this semester but hate doing so alone? Join the field hockey team! Practices are super fun but also a great workout. This sport, like most, involves a good amount of running, and field hockey is known for making you use muscles you never knew you had! That being said, don't be intimidated if you aren't the best runner or feel super out of shape! Practices here are designed to make sure you're ready for game day.

6. Making friends with benefits.

Being a part of a group that includes students from every grade is really such an amazing opportunity. Underclassmen, don't know how scheduling works or what classes to take? Ask the junior and seniors. Trying to figure what other extracurriculars to be apart of? See what your teammates are involved in. Need dating advice? Someone on the team has probably gone through it. The list goes on and on, but the most important benefit of befriending the members of the field hockey team is being able to grow closer to Christ. Our team is filled with people who are passionate about their faith not only on the field but also off. As a team, we will be having weekly prayer times, but often the best times are the unplanned ones. We grow the most in our faith during difficult times. Practices and games will be challenging, but it is during those times that we can choose to be a light of Christ both to our teammates and our opponents.