Johnny Depp's Alleged Abuse: When Fame Beats Accountability

Celebrities have a history of being let off the hook when accusations of abuse and rape arise. Will Johnny Depp be added to that list?

15
huffingtonpost.com

When famous people do something wrong or are even accused of doing something wrong, it tends to rub fans the wrong way. There are, unfortunately, plenty of examples of this happening in the recent and not-so-recent past. Bill Cosby, R. Kelly, David Bowie, Woody Allen and Jimmy Page are all examples of celebrities who have been charged or accused of rape, statutory rape or sexually assaulting minors. In the cases of R. Kelly and Bill Cosby, the celebrities were taken to court. David Bowie, who had underage sex with 14-year-old Lori Mattix in the 1970s, was not indicted or taken to court.

It can be difficult to accept it when a celebrity you've looked up to has been accused of something horrible. We want to deny their actions and say it's not true because we've placed them on a pedestal and idolize them. Their songs or the characters that they've portrayed have created an emotional bond that makes it hard to admit when maybe...they're not the person we thought they were.

But people still need to be held accountable for their actions, celebrity status or not. Music stars and famous actors shouldn't be able to get away with rape and abuse simply because of their profession--but more often than not, that's exactly what happens.

In the past few weeks, another well-loved celebrity has come into the spotlight for domestic abuse. Amber Heard has applied for a divorce from Johnny Depp on the grounds of physical and emotional abuse. Heard alleges that, two days before she filed for their divorce, Depp pulled at her hair, hit her in the face with a cellphone and verbally berated her. This is according to the court filings that have been presented in different media outlets.

“During the entirety of our relationship, Johnny Depp has been verbally and physically abusive,” Heard has said in a sworn statement. “He has a short fuse. He is often paranoid and his temper is exceptionally scary for me.”

The hashtag #IStandWithAmber has been trending on Twitter in the wake of Heard's allegations, largely due to the reaction of Depp's fans. Many have accused her of lying about the abuse for financial gain, despite photographic evidence she's presented.

To abuse victims, Heard is in a situation that is familiar to many. No amount of evidence or testimony or defensive action seems to be enough to convince the world that a crime has taken place. Kind of like what's going on with Kesha.

According to NBC News, there is currently no criminal investigation into Heard’s allegations of abuse. Her restraining order against Depp expires on June 17, which is when the next hearing of her and Depp's divorce will take place.

I have been a fan of Johnny Depp for years. I've loved his movies, I've loved his characters. But I can't support a person who has been accused of abuse, no matter who they are.

And personally, if someone thinks that Heard is going through the processes of a divorce, a restraining order, filing photographic evidence and the emotional tax of having to explain herself in front of millions of fans just for attention or for money, they most likely do not understand the hostile situation that abuse survivors face when they attempt to get protection for themselves.

It's understandable to be upset, disappointed and betrayed that one of your favorite celebrities has committed a crime. But Johnny Depp fans should take a second and consider what their real priorities are if they find themselves defending Depp and condemning Heard.