5 Things I've learned from my job search... So far.

Senior year has been busy, and finding a job seems to be making it busier.

44

Finding a job... It's why you came to college in the first place, and it's the one thing that has been on my mind since this past summer. I don't want to graduate without having a job lined up. I sit down once a week and I search through job websites and it is still intimidating each time. These are some things I've learned since starting my job search.

1. It's okay if you get a no.

You will get phone calls telling you that they are going to move on with other candidates, and it's gonna sting a little. I was called yesterday and told that I wasn't going to the next round from a company. I've been emailed from two other companies before that saying that they will move on with other candidates. Always remember that it is OKAY. You will find the job you're looking for, it's just going to take more time than you expected it would.

2. Phone interviews can be incredibly intimidating so do your research.

A lot of companies are going to have several phone interviews before you ever make it to an in person interview. These interviews are important because it helps you be able to get to know the company and for the recruiter to get to know who you are. Research the company if you don't know much about them. Be prepared to answer questions about adversity you have faced. Be prepared to tell people what motivates you and why. Be prepared to tell them your strengths and weaknesses, and be prepared with questions armed and ready. Have these things written down somewhere so that you can remember what you want to say and how you want to say it.

3. Position yourself for success.

Sit down in a quiet place, have a note pad ready, have your questions ready, and KILL that interview! I usually sit at my desk in my room at my apartment with my resume next to my computer. On my computer I have a set of questions I want to ask the recruiter about the company. My resume sits on my desk as well as a note pad so that I can write notes about what was talked about.

4. Don't overwhelm yourself with interviews.

I have overwhelmed myself a little bit with interviews and I do not recommend it. It sounds like a great idea to knock out a few interviews a week but you have to remember to give yourself time to breathe. Between classes, work, extracurricular things, trying to be a good friend, and doing interviews it is a whole lot. Remember to give yourself grace and don't overbook yourself because usually you don't preform as well. I learned this lesson the hard way, and I definitely don't think trying to do everything all at once is the way to go about it. Space out your interviews and make sure to CHECK YOUR PLANNER so you don't overbook yourself!

5. Always remember to send an email thanking them for their time.

This doesn't seem like a big deal but it definitely is. You're investing your own time but they are also investing time in you. It's kinda like dating but you're dating a company not a person. Write a thank you email and send it to them, and also make sure to get back to the person you're talking to quickly if they ask you to send them a time for something. Don't make them wait.

If you're a senior in college: I FEEL you on being a little overwhelmed trying to find a job opportunity and I hope that this was at least somewhat helpful for you. You got this, I believe in you!!!