8 Ways Interview Processes Are Getting More Intense

Here's what you should know before going into your next job interview.

81

This isn't your parents' job search. Job hunting as a millennial is a different ballgame with new stakes and standards.

Many hiring processes have stretched from the typical one or two interviews to multiple rounds, and it's not uncommon to do tests to prove your skills.

You don't need to fear the process, though, as long as you prepare for it. The keys to success come with capability, determination and lots of patience — train yourself in these areas, and you'll be fine.

If you're about to hit the workforce, it doesn't hurt to take some advice along. Here are eight things to expect when applying for jobs in 2019.

1. Timelines Differ Within Industries

When interview processes stretch on, you'll begin to wonder when you'll get an answer. Save yourself the anxiety by asking upfront how long they expect the timeline to last.

Some companies detail their hiring process on their website before you jump in, which saves you a lot of confusion. If yours doesn't, ask them after the interview about the next steps. They should be more than happy to fill you in and give you some time estimates.

The average interview process in the U.S. takes about 23.8 days, although this varies by state and city. Specific industries have quicker turnovers than others, such as retail and delivery driving.

If you have dreams of a government job, steel yourself — wait times clock in at 53.8 days. This time is par for the course with federal jobs, however, as they require extensive evaluating and interviewing, so don't be discouraged by a long wait.

2. Background Checks Can Be Extensive

Background checks are necessary for any industry, as employers want to know who they're hiring. Can they trust you to uphold their company's mission? Are there marks on your record that clash with their values? These evaluations get more rigorous depending on your field.

Federal jobs require an intensive round of background checks on both you and your relatives. You'll also need a security clearance if your position involves access to classified information. The amount they examine depends on your job level.

Though delivery drivers have a quick turnover, rideshare companies like Uber also conduct detailed checks of your criminal and driving records. Many states allow companies to search back seven years — anything preceding this point doesn't count. Depending on your case, there's not much you can do to remove existing charges or marks, so be transparent with your employer.

Show honesty when they ask about past incidents. If you attempt to hide or withhold information, they'll be less likely to call back.

3. Personality Tests Are the New Trend

You read it right — personality tests aren't fun activities you do in your spare time anymore. Employers find them increasingly helpful with gauging candidates' personalities and predicting how they'll fit within the company.

Over 88% of Fortune 500 companies use the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator during the interview process. These tests give employers ideas for accommodating new hires in ways that promote high engagement and productivity. An employee in a department they dislike may not work at their best, which costs money and time.

Answer the test as accurately as you can. If you provide answers that don't match your personality, you may find yourself in an environment with a workload you can't handle.

4. Some Employers Require Presentations

More jobs are asking for applicants to prove their skills through tests and presentations. Understandably, they want top-notch employees within their company, but it can be anxiety-causing for those who aren't prepared. After all, you probably assumed your days of public speaking were over after college.

If you apply for a job that asks you to do a presentation, practice as much as possible. You can never prepare too much when it comes to your career, but be mindful not to come across as overly rehearsed. A stiff lecture where you speak from memorization won't win over the judges, but neither will one that you perform on-the-fly.

Have an understanding of what you're presenting and create a structure for approaching the topic. Tell a story with your introduction, argument and conclusion. Provide examples of your expertise and let your talents shine.

5. It's Smart to Have Multiple Prospects

Keep your options open. Avoid hanging everything on a single prospect, because this will discourage you if it doesn't pan out. Always have a backup plan. Seek out other companies within your field and send in applications while waiting on your first choice.

Letting the employer know you have other offers can nudge them into giving you an answer sooner. Many companies hate to lose good candidates, and they know you have more freedom to choose than they do.

Only apply for the amount you can handle. Multiple prospects mean multiple interviews. And if you're employed, you may take a lot of time away from your current position. Seek out companies that offer shorter processes than your first choice.

6. Realistic Expectations Save You From Stress

Avoid worrying yourself over why you haven't heard back yet. There may be many reasons why the interview process takes longer than expected, and not all of them are because of you. Some companies may be rearranging operations by implementing and removing positions.

Overhauls take time, which means your application may sit for a while before someone picks it up. Long wait times can also be a sign of disorganization, however, so proceed with caution.

Other businesses will have you speak to every executive before making a decision, which means numerous interviews. They're not trying to pull you back and forth, however. Their goal is to get thoroughly acquainted with their potential employee — and if you show your best face, that could be you.

Maintain your confidence and know that long wait times don't mean disaster.

7. The Second Interview May Be Day-Long

After you ace the first interview, they'll call you for a second. This interview may be similar or different in structure. Some second interviews involve meeting all your potential colleagues, meaning an entire day of questions.

These meetings may be spontaneous, too, as most people are taking time out of their schedule to drop in and see you. Anticipate answering the same questions multiple times. Practice under a time limit to polish your response time.

You don't have to worry about going hungry, though, as many employers will provide lunch if they plan to keep you all day.

8. Dining Interviews Test Your Etiquette

Your hiring process may include a dining interview. Whether this occurs over dinner or lunch depends on the hiring manager, though you may give suggestions to fit your schedule. Dining interviews test your interpersonal and communication skills. While you may see them as a kind offer, you should also be diligent about paying attention.

These interviews are suitable for people seeking client-facing jobs. Your employer will evaluate your communication abilities and manners to ensure your success with clients. Employees who can handle any client are invaluable, so display your best behavior.

Arrive at the restaurant early as you would for a regular interview. Research the menu ahead of time to cut down nervousness about ordering. Avoid messy dishes like pasta or ribs, and take small bites so you can answer questions in between.

Ace Your Interview

Now that you know more about 21st-century hiring practices, it's time to get out and show your best side. Keep your confidence, stay prepared and brush off those annoying self-doubts.

You deserve to be in the room as much as anyone else.