You just graduated from college. You're excited to finally relax and enjoy the summer. At the same time, you're anxious about finding your first real life, full-time job. After all, that was the whole point of getting your degree, right? To start your career?

You go on social media (like you normally do every day), and you're swarmed with posts from your friends and fellow students announcing that they accepted full-time positions. Wait! How did they do that so fast? It's only been two days since graduation. Were they applying throughout senior year, and managed to secure a job before graduation? You were applying like crazy too, but you didn't have such luck.

You head to LinkedIn and Glassdoor and every other job-finding website you know to fill out more applications. It's a long and tedious process, but you're determined to match the pace of your peers. Day after day, you receive emails about job recruiters viewing your applications. But they don't reach out to you. You're also receiving notifications about your connections starting new positions. "Congratulate Ashley for starting a new position as a commerce/affiliate marketing editor." No thanks, I'll pass.

It's frustrating to hear about the success of others when you feel... well... unsuccessful. When others are ahead of your progress, it's hard not to feel lazy or like you're not trying hard enough.

But here's the thing: You have no idea what kind of a situation they're in. Maybe their uncle works for the company they just got employed at, so they happened to have an "in." Maybe they have a specific skill (like being able to speak another language fluently) that a company really needed.

My point is that you have no idea what's going on in someone else's life. What you should know by now, however, is that social media is far from realistic. It paints a pretty picture, and it's a biased, mainly positive account of our experiences. If you stopped comparing yourself to Instagram models because you know that they use photo editing apps and have had plastic surgery, I'm sure that you can learn how to stop pressuring yourself to be at the same level of your peers. It's all about doing you and taking your focus off other people.

Don't rush. Take your time. Do your research on companies that you're interested in. Seek advice about cover letters and resumes. Network, make connections. But at the end of the day, do it at a pace that YOU are comfortable with. And if the notifications and announcements and social media posts become too much, take a break from it all, and focus on yourself. You are your No. 1 priority. Work on creating your own future.