Why "Joanne" Will Change Your Mind About Lady Gaga

We were not ready for Mother Monster's newest album.

50
Facebook - @ladygaga

Lady Gaga is one of the most well-known people in pop culture. She has been met with controversy, fame, and has become a household name. Her long awaited album, "Joanne", just came out and her Little Monsters are freaking out. Mother Monster is back with one of her greatest albums to date.

1. Diamond Heart

"Some asshole broke me in
Wrecked all my innocence"

Gaga kills it on her first song of the album. With a slow buildup to the chorus, she sings of her struggle to be a popstar. She alludes to her sexual assault in the shown lyrics, but she brings it home with her line "I might not be flawless, but you know I got a diamond heart." Lady Gaga opens her album with a song of confidence, nostalgia, and one where I can definitely sing-scream to.

2. A-YO

"I can't wait to rev you up
Faster than you can say 'Ferrari'"

This song was released a few days before the release of the full album. As shown by the lyrics, this is one of her more risqué songs on the album. With allusions to Marlboros and lighting her up, this song is full of begging. The guitar solo and her accompanying vocals brings in a sense of both rock and country to the mix, something unheard of to Mother Monster. The rest of the album holds the same theme: nothing like you've seen before, but everything you needed.

3. Joanne

"Take my hand, stay Joanne
Heaven's not
Ready for you"

The title track is met with sadness and love for her aunt Joanne. This stripped-down track is full of pleading and mourning for an aunt that she never knew. Lady Gaga's tribute and her vulnerability on this song is a theme that holds true for the rest of the album, making it her most personal one yet.

4. John Wayne

"I crave a real wild man
I'm strung out on John Wayne"

I'm not a huge fan of country music, but Lady Gaga made a country girl out of me. A more sensual song about a love affair, with an Americana twist. It's a rugged and deeply honest song of her desire for a man, presumably a male lead like John Wayne. Is this about Taylor Kinney, her ex-fiancé? The world speculates, but for know I'll just buy a cowboy hat and dance to this song.

5. Dancin' in Circles

"In the fire I call your name out
Up full night tryin' to rub the pain out"

Upon first listen, this song gave me flashbacks of her song "Alejandro." But on a closer look, this song seems to be full of worship for her "alone" time. Similar to the hit song "Love Myself" by Hailee Steinfeld, this song exudes confidence in oneself and that it "feels good to be lonely." "Dancin' in Circles" is a celebration of female masturbation, which is a common theme for Gaga's music.

6. Perfect Illusion

"Mistaken for love, it wasn't love
It was a perfect illusion"

Both about her relationship with Taylor Kinney as well as the media, the lead single brought in mixed reviews from her fans, including myself. This song is a jam, without a doubt, with its guitar riffs by Mark Ronson and the appeal to radio. But I honestly expected to be disappointed in the album based on this song (but oh how that was a "perfect illusion").

7. Million Reasons

"I bow down to pray
I try to make the worst seem better"

This is one of her most heartbreaking songs to date. This song, as well as "A-YO", came out a few days before the full album. "Million Reasons" is one of my favorites off the album. Her piano, voice, and the vulnerable lyrics work well together. You can hear the raw emotion, constantly building throughout the song. This piano ballad is one that sticks with you.

8. Sinner's Prayer

"Hear my sinner's prayer
It's the only one I know
It sure as hell don't rhyme
But it's as good as, good as, good as, good as gold"

Stepping away from ballads as well as dance tunes, this song has a slow groove to it that is perfect for singing along to. With another country-feel, this song pleads to the audience that a sinner's prayer, one that is solely around forgiveness and repentance, is the one prayer she know. She mentions in the song how she only ever would want to break the heart of one man and not any other. It's as if she is predicting she will break the heart of someone, and is already asking for forgiveness. This song also alludes to her relationship with Taylor Kinney. Perhaps she is asking for forgiveness?

9. Come to Mama

"So why do we gotta tell each other how to live?
The only prisons that exist are ones we put each other in"

This song is one of my personal favorites on "Joanne." This song is about loving one another, no matter who you love and who you are. It's a song filled with positivity, freedom, and compassion. She sings "come to mama," as if she will take care of everyone in pain. Mother Monster has plenty of love to go around, and this song spreads that love and inspires others to do the same.

10. Hey Girl (feat. Florence Welch)

"Hey girl, hey girl
We can make it easy if we lift each other
Hey girl, hey girl
We don't need to keep on one-in' up another"

When fans heard that Lady Gaga was collaborating with Florence Welch of Florence + the Machine, everyone rejoiced. This is one of Gaga's best songs and it exudes positivity and empowerment. "Hey Girl" has Elton John-vibes, but Gaga and Welch make it their own. Their vocals dance around each other well, and not one overshadows the other. In a culture where women feel the need to compete, this song is a breath of fresh air.

11. Angel Down

"Angel down, angel down
But the people just stood around"

This powerful ballad is one of Lady Gaga's most beautiful and chilling songs to date. She recently revealed that this song was a tribute to Trayvon Martin, a 17-year-old boy who was fatally shot back in 2012. She calls for leaders to change their ways and calls Trayvon an "angel" and pleads to save all the angels. This song is heartbreaking, emotional, and moving.

12. Grigio Girls

"All the Pinot, Pinot Grigio girls
Pour your heart out
Watch your blues turn gold"

The woman in the picture is her best friend Sonja, who has stage 4 breast cancer. This song is a tribute to her and her friends. It's a song of celebrating friendship and being able to be honest with your friends. This song has a hint of heartbreak and nostalgia, but the women singing along with Gaga show the vitality of friendship.

13. Just Another Day

"We both know I could learn a thing or two
About behaving, but I love you
And after all, it's just another day"

"Just Another Day" is a song filled with Beatles-inspired beats, accompanied by Mark Ronson and Brian Newman. This song just exudes happiness, with its jazz beats and uplifting guitar riffs. The last song on the album before the "Angel Down," this song is a beautiful way to end one of her best albums.

14. Angel Down (Work Tape)

I didn't think that "Angel Down" could get more beautiful, but this version is one met with even more raw emotion. With heavy piano, flawless vocals, and more heartbreak, the addition of this demo closes the album on a note that really encapsulates "Joanne" remarkably.

"Joanne" is an album full of vulnerability, freedom, and love. Her most stripped-down album to date, Lady Gaga steps away from the manufactured pop expected of her and really gives her Little Monsters a taste of who she is and just exactly what she can do. "Joanne" is one of my favorite albums of hers, and frankly one of my all-time favorite albums.