Jesus Calms The Storm

Jesus Calms The Storm

When we make time for Him, all things settle into place.
208

Think of the word “settle” and how it is used in a sentence. Settle down rambunctious children. Let’s wait for the dust to settle. Settle this dispute, settle your affairs. Settlers, settlement, settle into a rhythm. All these usages have one thing in common. They transition a frenzied state into a relaxed state. I’ve decided to focus on this word because it provides an image of what needs to take place when we need to settle down. When we are stressed and we need to relax and when we are anxious and we need to breathe.

One of my greatest faults is that I get stressed very easily. When a busy week lies ahead, filled with assignments, tests, meetings, and work, it feels as if a massive thunderstorm is brewing on the horizon. I can feel it approaching.

Before a storm hits the air is warm, humid, and the wind keeps picking up and pulls the storm clouds closer. Stress is like this too. I can feel it get closer, starting as clouds, then a massive storm. It seems there’s nothing we can do to combat the pressure we are under. And when it hits, it’s worse than expected. Suddenly it’s the middle of the week with so much left to take on, yet so many hurdles gone through already. Stress is cyclical, but in Psalm 91 verse 4, the speaker writes, “Greater than the roar of many waters, the mighty breakers of the sea, the Lord on high is majestic.”

And that’s that. Case closed. God is sovereign, He is above it all. We need to remember this fact when the storm is looming, and even when the storm has already hit. God is sovereign over everything in this world. Jesus even tells us that He is the one to turn to when we are stressed. In Matthew 11:28-30, we read, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Our troubles are so small in comparison to His power. We need to focus on Him and trust in Him. Trust what the Bible says when we read in Philippians 4:6, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God”.

We are God’s children, He listens to us when we come to Him in need of rest. It’s as simple as that. I’m just as guilty as you. I get stressed so easily that people always stop and ask me how things are going. But it’s a daily battle that I face, I have to remain focused on God and His plan for me. Maybe I have to take my own advice in the articles I write here on The Odyssey. Trust God always. He is sovereign. When we make time for Him, all things settle into place.