Jesus and the Overwhelmed College Student

The struggle is real.

78
favim.com

Over the summer I read a book by Lysa Terkeurst, The Best Yes. (If you haven’t read it yet, you should order a copy, now, it’s that good). Months later, a quote from this book still sticks with me, “A woman who lives with the stress of an overwhelmed schedule will often ache with the sadness of an underwhelmed soul.” I mean, wow, that’s heavy stuff right there.

So lately, this quote has been resurfacing in my mind more and more with every ‘yes’ I say and it has made me think about how this quote truly applies to the average college student. Between classes, organizations, jobs, observations, practicums and internships we are pretty busy people. But yet we keep saying ‘yes’. So why exactly are we overwhelming our schedules? Maybe it’s because we like to help others, want to build up our resumes, or we just like to be in control of every situation (guilty). But whatever the reason may be, with every ‘yes’ we say, we are adding more stress to our lives and less time with our creator. See, when we overwhelm our lives we become so anxious and consumed with everything which we have committed ourselves too that sometimes we don’t slow down enough to spend the time that we should with Jesus.

Maybe it is time for us to stop saying ‘yes’. Not to everything, but to the unnecessary things that add stress to our everyday lives. We need to slow down and listen for God’s guidance in all situations because just because an opportunity may be good doesn’t mean that it’s from God. We stop thinking that by rushing every detail of our lives that we will be able to control it because we will n e v e r be able to control it. It is not our life to control. Therefore, be willing to sacrifice your overwhelming schedule and allow Jesus to come in and overwhelm your soul.

Here are a few verses to refer to when your soul is feeling overwhelmed, worn out or even rundown.

“Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.” 1 Peter 5:7

“Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” Matthew 6:34

“From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I.” Psalm 61:2

“Cast your cares on the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never let the righteous be shaken.” Psalm 55:22

“Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything; tell God your needs and don’t forget to thank Him for His answers. If you do this you will experience God’s peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will keep your thoughts and your hearts quiet and at rest as you trust in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7