The Jennifer Aniston Effect

The Jennifer Aniston Effect

532
The Jennifer Aniston Effect

You may know her as Rachel Green from Friends or as the beautiful face behind Aveeno, Smart Water, Living Proof, and St. Jude’s. Whatever the case, Jennifer Aniston is one of the most recognizable faces in the world.

Her beauty, intelligence, and drive remain unparalleled in Hollywood and make her a sought-after spokeswoman for nearly any product on the market today. Heck, there’s even a Jennifer Aniston neuron that a UCLA neurosurgeon discovered while operating on patients who suffered from debilitating epileptic seizures. 

With all of the success in Jennifer Aniston’s life, there have been some failures. Even though Jen is basically perfect in every single way (body of a goddess and face like sunshine), equally perfect Brad Pitt dumped her. Along the same lines, Jen is 45 years old and has yet to remarry (though she is engaged to Justin Theroux) and begin a family while Brangelina have like fifty kids and manage to remain married despite their obvious incompatibility. Jennifer Aniston is the classic example of bad things happening to good people. 

This leads me to question: if Jennifer Aniston can’t win at life, what about the rest of us? The majority of people on this earth are average. They look average, work at average jobs, and live average lives with their average spouses creating average children that will also live average lives. How do you break this cycle of average? With the help of horribly produced reality shows and Vine, people have been able to document their average lives and actually make a living off of being average. However, this does not guarantee that a person will win at life. I guess using Jennifer Aniston as an example, there’s absolutely nothing you can do to win at life—it’s all up to fate.

Speaking of fate, Jennifer Aniston was pretty much fated to be successful. She was born to actor parents with amazing genes, her father being from Crete and her mother from New York City. Jen attended Manhattan's Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts. After happening to run into Warren Littlefield, a former NBC executive, at a gas station, Jen landed the role as Rachel Green on Friends. According to the Guinness World Book of Records (2005), Aniston became the highest paid TV actress of all time with her $1 million-per-episode paycheck for the tenth season of Friends. If there has ever been an actress more #blessed than Jennifer Aniston, please let me know.

After basically convincing every single woman in America to get “The Rachel” haircut, Jennifer Aniston made the amazing decision to become a spokeswoman for not one, but three major companies (one of which she is co-founder). I would not be surprised to discover Smart Water’s stock increasing exponentially as soon as Jennifer Aniston started appearing in their advertisements. I don’t even care that I’m paying $3.50 for a bottle of water—if Jennifer Aniston drinks it, I drink it. The same can be said for Aveeno and Living Proof products. If Jennifer claims that Aveeno Positively Radiant will instantly brighten my skin and reduce the look of brown spots, then I might as well buy it (even though I don’t have brown spots nor do I worry about the brightness of my skin). I just started using her Living Proof hair products and I can definitely feel the difference…at least I think so.

Jennifer Aniston has a way of relating to you in a way that most celebrities cannot. She makes you feel special and important while remaining completely unattainable. Jen connects with children, made obvious in her appearance in the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital commercials, which gets me to thinking: maybe trying to be like celebrities isn’t a bad thing. Sure, I probably shouldn’t spend tons of money on Aveeno products that might not work or Smart Water that is basically the same as the water that comes out of my sink. When it comes to being a better person, however, I think we all should succumb to the Jennifer Aniston effect. Maybe we’ll even end up marrying Brad Pitt only to have him cheat on us. A girl can dream.