Jake Gyllenhaal's 14 Best On-Screen Performances So Far, Ranked

My pick of the 14 best Jake Gyllenhaal movies thus far.

790
YouTube

It’s not a stretch to say that Jake Gyllenhaal is one of the greatest actors of the generation. Although he has been recognized for his incredible work in some of his more widely-known films such as Brokeback Mountain and Stronger, I deserve he deserves more credit for the other films he has made. Below are, in my opinion, the fourteen best performances by the legendary Jake Gyllenhaal.

14. October Sky (1999) dir. by Joe Johnston

This is an overlooked performance given the fact that it was Jake’s first leading role. Yet, even at the young age of seventeen, he still shows as much emotion as he does now as an experienced actor.

13. Jarhead (2005) dir. by Sam Mendes

Given that this is a war movie, Jake had to prepare a lot for this role, physically and mentally. His acting was so well done that, at the time, I completely forgot that I was watching Jake as he played a member of the Marines.

12. Zodiac (2007) dir. by David Fincher

There are so many incredible actors in this film that it is hard to single out just one for their performance. Having said that, Jake’s acting is so powerful even though he makes it seem so effortless.

11. End of Watch (2012) dir. by David Ayer

For this film, Jake also had to immerse himself in a world that was unknown to him; he plays a cop. In interviews, he revealed that he spent quite some time going on some ride alongs with real police officers as they patrolled the streets in the wee hours of the night. All this work paid off, though, because he played the role so convincingly.

10. Brothers (2009) dir. by Jim Sheridan

This is another underrated movie; the acting and writing are so brilliantly done and the story just really hooks you from start to finish. Jake's emotions throughout the film are so subtle yet so profound.

9. Life (2016) dir. by David Espinosa

The fear that runs throughout the body of this film is so compelling that I spent most of the movie gripping my chair until my knuckles cramped. Jake, as well as the other actors, perform with such intensity that you truly start to feel as if you are stuck in a spacecraft with a killer alien on the loose, too!

8. Donnie Darko (2001) dir. by Richard Kelly

Jake is absolutely incredible in this film, and his performance is what gained him a lot of cinematic popularity. Despite his young age, he really dove into the darkness his character was consumed with. Jake has told interviewers that it was him who originally made the classic, sinister twisted smile that Donnie has become so known for.

7. Nocturnal Animals (2016) dir. by Tom Ford

Jake played two roles in this piece. Both roles required a great outpouring of emotion, as they were both overcome with their own heavy devastation. Even though we see slightly more emotion from one character over the other, I can still say that his performance portraying both characters was truly astonishing.

6. Brokeback Mountain (2005) dir. by Ang Lee

This role landed Jake’s first Academy Award nomination for a reason. The way he delivered emotion throughout all the scenes, but especially the sad scenes, was absolutely incredible. But, then again, it must be hard to fail when you’re working with such a phenomenal actor such as the late Heath Ledger by your side.

5. Enemy (2013) dir. by Denis Villeneuve

In a way, this is another film in which Jake played two roles. Because he is essentially playing two different characters, he had to take on the emotions and nuances of both. As hard as this sounds, he did so smoothly and convincingly.

4. Southpaw (2015) dir. by Antoine Faqua

Jake gained over fifty pounds to play the character of Billy Hope for this film. Learning the art of boxing and making two trips a day to the gym, he truly transformed himself from an actor to a buff, powerful heavyweight champion boxer with anger issues and a desire to take care of his little girl.

3. Nightcrawler (2014) dir. by Dan Gilroy

Jake and Dan Gilroy have said many times that the character of Lou Bloom, which Jake portrayed, purposely becomes reminiscent of a coyote, both physically and emotionally. With this aim in mind, Jake completely captivates the audience with his strong-willed movements and resolute dialogue.

2. Prisoners (2013) dir. by Denis Villeneuve

Despite the fact that this is one of my favorite films, Jake shows such intensity in his performance. I actually had a difficult time taking my eyes off of him during several scenes because his facial expressions were so vivid. He even adopts a facial twitch as his character gets more and more agitated throughout the film.

1. Stronger (2017) dir. by David Gordon Green

Some of the scenes in this movie made me cry because of how convincing the acting was. Jake’s performance was so incredibly moving that I am honestly baffled that he didn’t receive an Academy Award for it. The scene where he fights with his girlfriend in the car gave me chills and moved me to tears.