Jackie Robinson

Jackie Robinson

A Whole Different Ballgame

141
Jackie Robinson
The Jackie Robinson Foundation

Player number 42, exits the dugout, enters Ebbets Field, and steps up to home plate with a bat in his hands. Hatred explodes from fans of both teams. The distasteful, threatening language whirls around the Brooklyn Dodgers’ second baseman as he grips his wooden bat tighter and tighter. He does his best to ignore the fans, the opposing coaches and players, and the umpires, and tries to focus on what means the most to him, baseball. This was the everyday life of baseball all-star and civil right’s activist Jackie Robinson. If attending a major league baseball game today, fans would expect athletes of all different races, but in 1947 an African American major league player was unheard of before Robinson hit the field. Many Americans consider Jackie Robinson one of the most excellent baseball players to ever play in the major league, but he is known for so much more than his baseball skills. He was also a great role model, and his spirit continues to inspire others. Jackie Robinson can be a positive influence to everyone because he held the traits of self-control, fearlessness, and dedication.

Being the first African American major league baseball player shortly before the Civil Rights Movement, one can only imagine the discrimination he experienced. Major league athletes are usually prepared for a group of people who constantly throw hatred at them, but in Robinson’s case almost everyone with a pale skin color was against him. Instead of reacting how most would, Robinson acted with an immense amount of self-control. Although no one should ever have to experience the heights of discrimination that Robinson received, everyone can learn something from his behavior. Self-control is something they begin to teach us in kindergarten. They trained us to remain calm when someone took our toy or pushed us off the slide. Unfortunately, many people have lost the basic life lesson of self-control. With constant city riots, school shootings, and so forth, more and more individuals need to look back at Jackie Robinson’s life and take into consideration the amount of disrespect he experienced and observe his behavior. The world would be a much better place if citizens increased their self-control.

Fearlessness is another great quality the world can learn from Jackie Robinson. I once had a friend argue with me over this exact matter. My friend explained that Jackie Robinson was not fearless because he knew exactly what he was stepping into when he decided to play major league baseball. I believe that is what made him so fearless. Robinson knew the mistreatment and adversity he would receive as an African American player, but he decided to face the fear of failure and continue to do what he loves. Many people have let their fear of failure overcome their dreams and goals in life. The world would have countless numbers of doctors, lawyers, and other important professions if fearlessness would be applied in more lives. Facing fears is hard to do, but the outcome will always be worth the struggle.

With any task a person may come across, dedication must be included somewhere. Dedication is to strive toward something with full force. Without dedication one has no point of trying because there is no hunger or interest. Jackie Robinson is a great example of dedication. “He was a six-time All-Star, the Rookie of the Year in 1947 and the NL Most Valuable Player in 1949, the year he won the league batting and stolen base crowns (Schleier A03).” Robinson had to press through his adversities as an African American major league player and dedicated himself to baseball to achieve these high honors. Many times in a person’s life, he or she falls short of dedication. Whether it is writing a paper for a composition class or wanting to lose 10 pounds within two months, if dedication is absent, the task will never be done to the best of the person’s abilities.

Self-control, fearlessness, and dedication are just a few important characteristics baseball legend, Jackie Robinson, held throughout his life. Everyone should explore the life of Robinson and learn from his behavior. “Jackie Robinson’s teammate Pee Wee Reese once said, “Maybe tomorrow we’ll all wear 42 so they won’t tell us apart (Tastad).” Pee Wee Reese was implying that he longs for a day all humans will be viewed by their attitude instead of the color of their skin. Unfortunately, it is 2015 and we have yet to completely rid the problem of discrimination. I stand with Pee Wee Reese and strive for the day we can all wear 42 and live a life with self-control, fearlessness, and dedication just like Jackie Robinson.

Works Cited

Schlrier, Curt. "Jackie Robinson Sped By Baseball's Racial Stop Sign." Investors Business Daily 15 Apr. 2015: A03. Regional Business News Plus. Web. 17 Sept. 2015.

Tastad, Sam. "Jackie Robinson, Wendall Smith: American Baseball Heroes." ESPN 991 Sioux Falls Sports Leader. 16 Apr. 2013. Web. 17 Sept. 2015.