I've Underappreciated My Family

I've Underappreciated My Family

They're There for Me No Matter What

23
I've Underappreciated My Family
Facebook

As my college years go by, I’m often struck with moments of immense homesickness. I wish I could go back home for just a day to see my sister get home from middle school, smell my dad making dinner, and watch horribly cheesy Hallmark movies with my mom on Friday nights.

I wasn’t always like this.

While growing up, I honestly thought of my family as a bother most times. My parents would show up to every football game to see me perform with the band and every basketball game to see me cheer, but I thought more of the friends who were hanging out with me afterwards. I argued with my mom about anything and everything, and time spent with my dad was filled with awkward silence.

Then I went to college.

The second I was on my own after my parents said their good-byes freshman year actually felt pretty lonely. I’d wanted to be on my own for so long, and as soon as I had the chance, I instantly started to regret it. The 24/7 time with my friends, cooking for myself, decorating my room the way I wanted. This was supposed to be fun, right?

Now, as a college junior, I’ve learned to adapt my schedule to fit my independent needs. I have friends to eat breakfast with, cheerleading practice to attend, and a homework load that never seems to end.

But I do make time for my family too. I have phone calls with my mom every Sunday afternoon to catch up on our weeks. Hearing the hustle and bustle of everyone in the background isn’t quite the same as being home with them, but it comes pretty close. I text my brother to see how his AP classes for high school are going. I send my sister pictures of the stuffed animal she bought me on my dorm room bed.

These are all such small moments, but added together, they honestly keep me going on days when I feel drained, stressed, and unsure if I can “do college” anymore.

Appreciate your family. You may think they’re cheesy, or annoying, or always bickering, but you’ll learn to love them regardless. I know I did.