It's The Final Countdown

It's The Final Countdown

How to take advantage of your senior year

16
It's The Final Countdown

After three long years of sleepless nights spent studying, drunken adventures, and stress-induced bad habits, your senior year is finally here. In just a few short months, you will be walking the stage at graduation, receiving your diploma and ready to head out into the real world. It’s certainly nerve-wracking, but it’s also very exciting. Below are some tips to help you make the most of your senior year, and help you get to graduation!

1.BOOST YOUR RESUME

It’s not too late to join a club, get a part-time job in your field, or even volunteer for a local cause. These things will help you sharpen your skills all-around, and make your resume look great! Not sure where to start? Check out your school’s groups and clubs fair, career services office, and student involvement office. They’re not just for freshmen!

2. NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK

At Salem State, I know we hold two job fairs each year, one for each semester. If you’re anything like me and have waited to your senior year to attend one, IT’S NOT TOO LATE FOR YOU! Make sure you go and attend any workshops your career services office is holding before the event, to help you make sure your resume is in their best shape! Know what companies will be in attendance, and make sure to have extra resumes on hand just in case.

Another great tool for networking is LinkedIn. If you haven’t made an account yet, or haven’t touched it since junior year of High School, you might want to log in and consider cleaning up your profile! Not only does it help you connect with your peers and build your digital network, but you’ll be surprised how many employers check-up on your online presence. That being said, you might also want to remove any quesionable things from your Facebook account, or make your settings private ;)

3. ASK QUESTIONS

In just a few short months, you will have your diploma in hand, ready to enter the work force. Senior year is your last chance to ask questions, make mistakes, and learn from those mistakes- before you have a real career. That doesn’t mean that you’re not allowed to make mistakes when you graduate, that is far from the truth. But senior year might be the last chance you have to make those mistakes, without major repercussions. College is for learning and growing- so make sure that is what you are doing!

4. SET YOUR PRIORITIES STRAIGHT

There is nothing worse than stepping out into the real world, and realizing your life is a mess. Get your priorities straight now, and save yourself from major stress and frustration in the future. This means making sure you’re on track to graduate on time, doing what you can to savage a lower-than-you-hoped GPA, and having a plan to pay off your debt. I know it can seem stressful, but there are many people and offices on campus dedicated to helping you out with these issues. Try talking to an adviser, or meeting with financial aid to help you make a plan.

5. BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL

This is your last chance as a student to attend a school sporting event! Make sure to attend at least one,and deck out in your collegiate gear! Go, Vikings!

6. ENJOY A CLASS

Your past three years have been loaded with your major courses; it’s time to take a class for fun! Perhaps you’re a communications major and have always been interested in glassblowing. Take a glassblowing class! Or maybe you’re like me, a nursing major with a passion for music. I’m taking a rock history class this semester! Whatever you do, just know that this is your last chance to take a class that you want, for pure enjoyment!

7. TRAVEL, TRAVEL, TRAVEL

I cannot stress this enough! Not only is traveling a very fun and rewarding experience, it also enriches your education. If you haven’t had a chance to travel abroad yet, now’s your chance! It doesn’t have to be for a whole semester- some programs only last a few weeks, or you can even take a trip during spring break! Short on cash? Start saving now, or contact your study abroad office for information about scholarships to study abroad. They’re out there!

8. BEWARE OF SENIORITIS

Oh, it’s a nasty infection! Symptoms include a decline in motivation, a feeling of having no responsibilities, and a sense of denial (I’m not graduating!). Sound familiar? Oh yeah, that’s senioritis for sure. While it’s okay to forget your responsibilities and enjoy a night out on the town once in a while, it is certainly not something you want to make a habit of- especially in your senior year. Just keep your priorities (and bank account) in mind, give yourself limits, and you’ll be fine. The doctor prescribes a healthy balance of school, work, and play!

9. HAVE FUN

College doesn’t have to be all work and no play. Remember that it’s only your senior year once- live it up! Take advantage of opportunites that comes your way, and let yourself have a good time!