It's Time To Make A Change

It's Time To Make A Change

Are you tired, frustrated, saddened, and infuriated with the recent tragedies? Here's how you can help and make a difference.

36
It's Time To Make A Change
LA Times, nacla.org, Salvage

After seeing the tragedies that are covering our Facebook walls and newscasts, I have sat wondering what I can do about it. How can I make a difference? How can I help the grieving families of those killed Orlando shooting and Dallas shooting? How can I support those grieving the loss of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile?

As I sat thinking about these tragedies, I realized writing an impassioned Facebook post wasn't enough. I had remained silent about the shootings, but I began to realize that not speaking up and acknowledging the present racism, the ridiculously lax gun regulations, the present prejudice that the LGBTQ community faces, and police brutality only adds to the problem that the United States faces. I was becoming a silent bystander about something that I whole-heartedly disagreed with. I said to myself, "enough is enough."

I wanted to take action, to make a stand against the violence, prejudice, and racism that continues to grow and spread like a disease. I didn't want to hide behind my computer screen any longer. I was sick of remaining silent.

Chances are, many of you who are reading this article have been feeling the same way. Angry, frustrated, sad... Chances are that some of you may know one, or several of the victims in the past month's tragedies. Because of this, I decided to put together a list of ways you can help spread awareness, support the grieving friends and families of the victims, and take a stand for what is right. We cannot remain silent any longer. It's time to make a change.

1. GoFundMe

GoFundMe has pages for all the victims of the recent shootings. Whoever you would like to support, GoFundMe has a page for them. I know that money will not change the underlying societal issues, but it will make a difference in the grieving families' lives. Reading the descriptions on the pages will also give you some information about what your donation is being used for. Below are some clickable links to donate:

Afton Sterling: https://www.gofundme.com/2cxkwyk

Philando Castile: https://www.gofundme.com/2d55v9g

Orlando Victims: https://www.gofundme.com/pulsevictimsfund

Dallas Police: https://www.gofundme.com/BlueLivesMatterDFW

2. Inform Yourself

Read, read, read! Look up information on the shootings from several different sources. Don't just read Fox news reports, but ABC, NBC, and CNN. Watch videos of what happened and speeches from leaders of the police forces, Obama, and the victim's families. Always be sure to read different perspectives to gain an understanding of the underlying issues; this will allow you to be have an informed, intelligent perspective. Maybe take the time to read about your own community's regulations, police forces, and social movements to help spread awareness.

3. Speak Up

When you are at your next family get together and your grandpa or mother-in-law begins to make uninformed comments about Black Lives Matter or the police shootings, speak up! Use all that information and statistics you read to spread the truth. There can't be change unless people stand up for what is right and just. Be a part of the solution, not the problem, by informing others about these pressing issues and tragedies.

4. Create or Join a Club

Create or join a club that stands for social justice on your campus or in your community. Be a part of Black Lives Matter or LGBTQ Pride clubs that take action in your community or campus. You can be a part of events and fundraisers that make big impacts. These clubs are a big part of creating an accepting, loving environment on campuses and in communities. And, better yet, you will find people that have many of the same values as yourself!

5. Write a Letter or Article

Write a letter to your senator, congressman, dean, board president, etc. Write about changes you want to see made, or events that you want supported to spread awareness. Connecting yourself with people who are community leaders can have a huge impact. By writing a strong, factual, innovative, and passionate letter, you could be the spark that lights social change and awareness in your community.

6. Protest

I add this one with hesitation after the recent shootings and violence during protests. However, peaceful protests are a great way to be heard and noticed by the media. If you are uncomfortable being a part of a physical protest, contribute in a different way, such as making signs or spreading the word. And remember -- stay safe!

7. Attend a Moment of Silence or Supporting Event in Your Community

Be a part of an event and be proud of it! Post pictures on your Instagram and Facebook showing your support. This will encourage others to do the same. If your community or school isn't having an event, start one! It only takes a few people to spread the word to get an event started and to make a difference in your community.

8. Recognize Your Own Prejudices and Misconceptions

This one is probably the most important on the list. If you really want to make a difference, start with yourself. Learn to recognize when you are racially profiling or stereotyping based on gender. Many of these social issues are engrained in our society, and sometimes it takes us seeing our own misconceptions before we can begin to truly promote change in others.

9. Donate Blood

After the shooting in Orlando, hundreds of people lined up to donate blood. However, the Florida Blood Center, OneBlood, continues to ask for blood. Go to http://redcrossblood.org/give/drive/driveSearch.js... to find a place near you to donate today!

10. Reach Out to Those Who Need Support

There are many people who are grieving the deaths and tragedies of those who have been killed. If you know someone who was a friend, family member, or even acquaintance to a victim or the victim's family, let them know you care and that you support them. If you know someone who may need help, send them to a safe place to heal in your community or call a hotline. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-8255 is always available and the National GLBT Center has a national hotline, a youth talk-line,and an online peer-support chat. For the national hotline, dial 888-843-4564.

11. Sign a Petition

Change.org has a page of petitions for police accountability and LGBTQ rights. You can also start your own petition to change your community's gun regulations.

Remember: You can make a difference; all it takes is a little effort.