It's Time To Embrace The Other Side

It's Time To Embrace The Other Side

You should love your asymmetrical face.

97
It's Time To Embrace The Other Side

Recently, on Mariah's World, Mariah Carey opened up about why she only likes to be photographed from her right side.

She explains that during her first photo shoot when she was 19 years old, a lady on set told her, "this is your good side, only let people photograph you from your good side, ever."

After hearing this, she admits that she "didn't like" photographs from the left side.

I grew up with the notion that symmetrical faces were the most attractive and because of it for a long time I felt that my face wasn't beautiful. Later, I realized that line of thinking was sad and wrong.

When I smile, one side of my face crinkles up a little more than the other. This means one eye appears smaller than the other. The edge of my mouth goes up higher than the other.

So whenever I took photos I'd tilt my head a little so I wasn't facing the camera straight on. However, not everyone notices this.

As a cashier at a grocery store, I help hundreds of people. At least once or twice a week someone tells me I have a nice smile.

I realize that our small "imperfections" are only noticed by us. If they're noticed by others, it's usually in a good way!

You never know when someone will be mesmerized by that weird birth mark or fall for your crooked smile.

Our faces are truly works of art. Asymmetry has it quirks.

Since it is very common, no two faces are alike. Even no two halves of a face are alike. That is why your face is unique. No one else has it.

Your face may look different on each side but that gives you variety - a slightly wider jaw on one side, one eye a fraction lower than the other, a cheekbone that sticks out a wee bit more or a dimple on one cheek.

So let's celebrate all things uneven! Go ahead an love your asymmetrical face!