It's The Anniversary Of The Coronavirus Pandemic

Has time really passed this fast? I remember the simpler times of the dalgona ice coffee...

40
A dalgona coffee.
https://unsplash.com/photos/FEZ3LXJ9uAY

It's the anniversary of the Coronavirus pandemic, at least for those who reside in the United States. On March 13th, it's been an official year since COVID-19 was declared a pandemic, and it's been a year since we've been at a concert or hugged a friend, or eaten in a restaurant full of people. For me, it's been almost a year since I've walked down the crowded streets of my beloved University. I never even got to go to a bar, because the pandemic happened before my 19th birthday. It's been months since normal life, without masks covering our mouths and hundreds of people crammed into one place.

I think everyone, if the choice was provided, would rip off their masks and dance in the streets if tomorrow it was safe to. Thank goodness that Biden has brought vaccines to the doorsteps of the American people, with plans to vaccine every adults eligible for a vaccine by May 1. My entire family except for me and cousins my age have been vaccinated and so have 100 million people in the US. That means a hefty 13% of all Americans, and while it may seem like a rather small number and given the strides that the US government is making in Biden's presidency so far, it means quite a bit.

How Long Is It Until Most Everyone Is Vaccinated?

A synringe.

https://unsplash.com/photos/DnBtFBnqlRc

On December 8th, Biden promised 100 million doses by the first 100 days of his presidency. By Biden's 100th day in office there has been 207 million doses, and if the US keeps up this pace then by September there will be 500 million doses. A lofty goal for a country as big as the US. USA Today has a great interactable graphic that maps out the progression of the doses via pace, and you can see what it would be like if we speed up or slow down the daily amount of doses, ranging from 500 thousand doses to five million doses per day. By the time May rolls around, the White House stated that we'll have all the doses that the US needs although it'll take some time to distribute it all.

It's Normal To Be Stressed Out And Sad During An Anniversary.

https://unsplash.com/photos/JXXdS4gbCTI

An anniversary of a tragic event can bring on the same grief and sadness that a person felt the last year. During these significant days, we associate the date with this event and relive it, over and over. The pandemic is unlike a solo tragic event, it's a significant event that the entirety of this country is experiencing at once.

The pros? The fact that not one of us is experiencing it alone. This fact makes us stronger, because we can rely on our friends, our family and our loved ones to support and help us through it. We're all feeling the same frustration, sadness, and grief for all of the people we have lost, and it's easier to treat others with kindness when we know we can relate to them.

My personal solution? Be kind, to yourself and to others. It sounds simple but spreading happiness will make you happier. Life can really suck, but trying to pull yourself out of it is allows good. Although, take my advice with grains of salt, this is what works for me. Sometimes I also just want to wallow in sadness and do nothing all day, and I let myself have room for that too. While extreme optimism is harmful, it always helps to give and receive a homemade cookie or drink. Treat yourself. If you're short on money, make yourself a nice meal or dessert with whatever is in your cupboard. Eat that bag of chips that you've wanted to eat. Slack off a bit on Tuesday, so you can pick it up on Wednesday. Have a nice spa day, or simply do nothing at all and rest.

Remember: We're Headed Towards The End.

Despite the way that we may feel right now, this will end soon. With the power of science and hopefully a efficiently run leadership, we're steps away from achieving normalcy again. While it may never be okay to not wear a mask in public again when someone is sick (which would virtual eliminate flu seasons in the US), we'll get to go sit in a restaurant soon. As fast as the last year has passed, the next couple month will pass just as quickly.